Writers Need Readers!
Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, a faculty member, or a staff member, at the Hofstra University Writing Center, you can work with one of our qualified tutors, who will assist you at any stage of your writing project: working toward a topic, developing and organizing ideas, strengthening arguments, and revising and polishing drafts.
Research Help Now Available
You can also tap into the expertise of research librarians from Axinn Library by clicking on an appointment slot marked "For Research Help ONLY."
You can meet with tutors in person or online in real time during our scheduled hours.
How to Make an Appointment
Click on the "Schedule an Appointment" button above, and register if you're a first-time user. Then, select the date and time for your appointment. Fill out the form, and near the top, be sure to select either
No – Meet in-person at the Writing Center
Yes – Meet online (make sure to select a tutor who conducts online appointments)
Bring Your Assignment
Please have available the relevant assignment, notes from your thesis director, job advertisement, or graduate/professional school essay prompt.
Meet with your tutor at 102 Mason Hall (weekday appointments) or 201G Axinn Library (weekend appointments).
To participate in an online appointment (via either instant messaging or video/audio chat) follow these steps:
- At the appointment time, log in at https://hofstra.mywconline.com/
- Click on your appointment.
- Click on "start or join online consultation."
- Don't maximize the window that pops up and keep both windows from overlapping to ensure that you can see both the tutor and your document at the same time.
- Upload your document by clicking on the little arrows at the top right corner (Import/Export), hitting the "browse" or "choose" button, selecting the document on your computer, and hitting "import now."
- For instant messaging, use the text box in the bottom right corner. When you have finished typing your message, hit "enter" to send it.
- For video/audio chat, click on "start video/audio chat" in the bottom right corner, just above the text box.
- Press "connect."
- Press "start publishing."
- Press "allow."
- If you have trouble with audio, hover over the bottom right corner of the video box to make sure the audio is on and at the right level and/or check the audio level on your computer.