Faculty Sponsor’s Responsibilities
- Hold initial meeting with student to discuss details and responsibilities of internship. At end of meeting, give student the admission form you received with initial notification letter. Student should then register. Remind student that we will not send the often-requested letter to the site informing them that student is receiving credit unless the student is registered.
- Maintain weekly contact. This can be prearranged in-person meetings, weekly phone calls, e-mail messages, or faxes. Ideally, face-to-face meetings should take place at least every 2 - 3 weeks. These weekly contacts are primarily to enable students to talk about what they have been doing, what they have observed, and any questions or problems they may have. Your role is to provide support and guidance and to serve as the student's advocate.
- If possible, visit the site at least once during the semester and meet with the on-site supervisor. If that is not possible, call the on-site supervisor to introduce yourself. Let him/her know that you are there to answer any questions and to make sure that the student is having a positive on-site learning experience. We don't want the site to think that we just send them our students and then leave them to deal with everything themselves. We want them to know that we hold them accountable for everything the student experiences while at the internship site.
- Keep a separate file for each student; these files can hold the application, your weekly meeting notes, student reports, on-site evaluations, and final paper.
- You will be receiving copies of the on-site supervisor’s midterm and final reports. You will also be receiving copies of the student’s midterm and final reports. These should be used in your final evaluation.
- Students are required to keep a daily journal. This journal, which should include hours worked each day, is used as the primary resource for the written paper they will have to do at the end of the internship. You can have the student submit journal reports to you on a regular basis and/or request to see the journal at any time.
- Students are required to submit a written midterm and final report paper. You should discuss the details of the paper before the internship begins. The program has created a recommended sheet with information for the midterm and final reports.
- Student evaluation form filled out and returned to sponsor.
- Submit final grade (P/F)
- Fill out faculty evaluation form and return folder to internship coordinator. Folder should include both student and faculty evaluations.