Master of Science in Education
Literacy Studies (Birth-Grade 6) or (Grades 5-12)
- B.A. or B.S. degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Possession of a New York State Initial or Provisional Teaching Certificate (see note b below).
- Interview with a program director in literacy studies.
General Education Core Requirements
In order to ensure that prospective teachers have a broad education in the liberal arts and sciences, all students must have completed undergraduate course work from each of the content areas below.
- Artistic Expression/Humanities, 3 s.h.
- Communication, 3 s.h.
- Information Retrieval, (0-3 s.h.; can be satisfied with passing score on exam)
- Historical and Social Science Concepts, 3 s.h.
- Language other than English, (0-3 s.h.; depending on placement)
- Scientific Processes, 3 s.h.
- Mathematical Processes, 3 s.h.
- Written Analysis and Expression, 6 s.h.
Please note that programs may have general education requirements that exceed the minimum registered with the state. Degrees will not be conferred unless all general education core deficiencies have been met.
- Admission to graduate study requires a baccalaureate degree with a general core in the liberal arts and sciences in order to meet New York state certification requirements.
- Students who enter the dual program must have taken the New York state LAST examination prior to admission.
- Graduate students who enter a program of study on a nonmatriculated basis are limited to a maximum of 12 s.h. of course work.
- A maximum of 9 s.h. of advanced standing may be accepted for relevant graduate course work taken elsewhere.
- Students who have initial/provisional certification in an area of study other than those listed above in 3 should speak to the department adviser for requirements for admission.