Academic Honesty Information
Course Syllabus and Website
Faculty may want to place the following information on course syllabi and websites:
All students are expected to abide by the University's Policy on Academic Honesty, which can be found in the Hofstra University Bulletins. Procedures for Handling Violations of Academic Honesty by Students at Hofstra University are detailed in Faculty Policy Series (FPS) #ll (rev. 2004.) for undergraduates and Faculty Policy Series #11G (rev. 2004) for graduate students.
The FPS can be found on the University Senate website.
Plagiarism Detection Tools
- Turnitin.com -- Hofstra subscribes to this plagiarism detection system. Faculty may access Turnitin directly through Blackboard. Follow these step-by-step instructions<http://www.hofstra.edu/PDF/lib_turnitin_bb.pdf>. A faculty member who is not using Blackboard but would like to use Turnitin should contact Professor Alan Bailin. Faculty who need help in interpreting Turnitin results can also contact him for assistance. Contact information: email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or (516) 463-5973.
- EVE2 Plagiarism Detection for Teachers
- Glatt Plagiarism Services
Selected Resources on Plagiarism
- Anti-Plagiarism Strategies for Research Papers (Robert Harris, author of The Plagiarism Handbook)
- Understanding Plagiarism (Indiana University)
- Avoiding Plagiarism (Hamilton College)
- Plagiarism Resource Site (Lou Bloomfield)
- Plagiarism Theme Page
Internet Term Paper Sites
Numerous sites with free term papers, term papers for sale, and even customized term papers on demand exist on the Internet. It is important that faculty become aware of these sites and what they offer. New ones crop up all the time, URL's are constantly changing, and often the same site appears in several different guises. The links are to some examples of what's available.
- A1 Termpaper
- Cyber Essays
- Math Reports
- Free Reports & Essays
- ChuckIII's College Resources
- Phuck School
- Paper Campus
- Planet Papers
- Research Papers Online
- Essays on Robert Frost
- The Doctor!