James P. Neelankavil
Professor of Marketing and International Business
Degrees: PHD, 1976, New York Univ; MBM, 1972, Asian Inst of Management; BSC, 1961, St Thomas Aquinas Coll
Areas of Expertise& Research
Ph.D. in International Business
Stern School of Business, New York university
Master of Business Administration (MBA) with distinction
Asian Institute of Management, Manila, Philippines
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Physics and Mathematics
St. Thomas College, Kerala University, India
- Neelankavil, James (2011) Corporate Strategy: A Practical Approach,
2nd ed. McGraw-Hill: New York, N.Y.
- Neelankavil, James & Anoop Raj (2009). Basics of International Business,
1st Ed., M.E. Sharpe: New York, N.Y.
- Neelankavil, James (2007) International Business Research, 1st Ed., M.E.
Sharpe: New York, N.Y.
- Neelankavil, James, Yong Zhang, & Tao Gao, Eds. (2003). Selections from
International Business and Global Business: Contemporary Issues, Problems,
and Challenges, 3rd Ed, McGraw-Hill, Inc.: New York, NY.
- Neelankavil, James & William McDonald (1999). International Business
Management: Decision Making Simulation, McGraw-Hill Irwin, Inc.: Chicago, IL.
- Neelankavil, James & Albert B. Stridsberg (1980). Advertising Self-Regulation: A
Global Perspective, Hastings House Publishers: New York.
- Jadhav, A., and J.P. Neelankavil, (2011), “Deficit Financing: Cases, Consequences, and Potential Cures,” Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 12, no. 6: 24-38.
- Neelankavil, J.P., L. Stevans, and F.L. Roman, (2011), "Correlates of Economic Growth
for Developing Countries: A Panel Cointegration Approach,"International Review of
Applied Economics. Forthcoming
- DeGuzman, J., J.P. Neelankavil, and K. Sengupta, (2011), "Human Resources Roles - Ideal
versus Practiced: A Cross-Country Comparison among Organizations in Asia,"
International Journal of Human Resource Management . Forthcoming
- Zhang, Yong, James Neelankavil, & Anil Mathur (2009). The Cultural Relativity of Managerial
Leadership Styles: A Cross Cultural Comparison of Middle-Level Managers in four Countries.
International Journal of Business and Public Administration., 6 (3), Fall, 32-49.
- Neelankavil, James & Mahesh Chandra (2008). Products Development and Innovation for
Developing Countries: Potential and Challenges. Journal of Management Development, 27 (5),
- Neelankavil, James & V.T. Alganar (2003). Strategic Resource Commitment of High Technology
Firms: An International Comparison. Journal of Business Research, 56 (5), 493-502.
- Mathur, Anil, Yong Zhang, & James Neelankavil (2001), "Critical Managerial Motivational Factors:
A Cross Cultural Analysis of Four Culturally Divergent Countries," International Journal of
Cross-Cultural Management, 1(3), 251-267.
- Neelankavil, James, Anil Mathur & Yong Zhang (2000). Determinants of Managerial Performance:
A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Middle Managers from Four Countries. Journal of International
Business Studies, 31 (1)
- Neelankavil, James, David Sessions, & Venkat Mummalini (1995). Use of Foreign Language and
Models in Print Advertisements in East Asian Countries: A Logit Modeling Approach. European
Journal of Marketing, Vol. 29, No. 4, 24-38.
- Neelankavil, James, Thomas O'Neil, & Richard Tashjian (1985).Techniques to Obtain Market-Related
Information from Very Young Children. Journal of Advertising Research, June-July, 41-47
- Neelankavil, James & Benjamin Lipstein (1984). Television Advertising Copy Research: A Critical
Review of the State of the Art. Journal of Advertising Research, April-May, 19-28.
Awards & Honors
Best Paper Award,
the International Academy of Business &
Public Administration's Annual Conference, Dallas, TX.
Fulbright Senior Specialist fellow
Dean's Award for outstanding Service to The Zarb School of Business
2003 & 2005
Best Teacher Award
Executive MBA Program
2011 – present
Editorial Board member, Journal of Asian Business
Business consultant to leading US and Asian companies
1961 - 1970
Firestone Tire & Rubber Company of India Ltd., Mumbai, India.