Sina Y. Rabbany
Professor of Engineering
Degrees: PHD, 1991, Univ Pennsylvania; MSE, 1986, Univ Pennsylvania; BSE, 1985, Univ Pennsylvania
Dr. Rabbany is currently doing research in the field of cellular and tissue engineering as applied to the vascular system. One of the major obstacles in engineering vascularized tissue is induction of endothelial vessel networks. To this end, his research applies engineering principles to the advancements being made in the differentiation of embryonic stem (ES) cells toward engineering vascularized tissue. The focus of the research is to expand pure populations of stem cells in vitro, and influence their cell fate decisions to direct differentiation into vascular cells including functional transplantable endothelial (EC) and smooth muscle (SM) cells. Understanding the mechanistic basis of ES cell differentiation into functional ECs is critical to various aspects of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. In addition, tissue explants generated by these vascular cells can be introduced in vivo to restore function by augmenting vessel growth, in the ischemic myocardium or limbs of patients after heart attacks or diabetic vascular diseases. The projects range from elucidating the role of physical forces such as cyclic stretch, simulated microgravity, and shear stress on vascular cells and engineering of vascularized constructs. In the past, he has done research in the areas of cardiovascular Mechanics and Biosensors, and cell & receptor biomechanics.
Honors & Awards:
Presidential Research Award, Hofstra University (1992-2001)
Citation, Explorers Club, New York Chapter (2000)
American Society for Engineering Education Summer Faculty Fellowship (1991-1999)
Research and Development Grant, Hofstra University (1991-2001)
Editor, Proceedings of the Biomathematics and Bioengineering 1993 Conference (1993)
Citation, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Long Island Chapter (1993)
Office of Naval Technology Postdoctoral Fellowship Review Panel (1992)
Sagawa Young Investigators Award, Cardiovascular Systems Dynamics Society (1992)
Award of Appreciation, Premedical Honor Society, Hofstra University Chapter (1992)
Release Time, Center for Scholarly Research and Academic Excellence, Hofstra University (1990-1993)
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Georgetown University/Naval Research Laboratory (1990)
Training Grant, University of Pennsylvania (1987-1988)
National Institute of Health Research Fellowship (1984-1986)
Founder Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement in Biomedical Engineering Studies (1986)
Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, University of Pennsylvania (1985)
DEAN'S List, University of Pennsylvania (1983)
Office of Naval Research -- Innovative Methodologies in immunoassay Design (1996-2002)
Faculty Development & Research Grant -- Cardiac Muscle Mechanics (1998-1999)
Presidential Research Award -- Transport Mechanisms Across Muscle cell Membrane (1999)
Areas of Specialization:
My research involves the application of both experimental and theoretical methods to study complex biological processes and is focused on the areas of Biosensors, Cardiovascular Dynamics, and Cellular Biomechanics.
Design and development of a parallel-plate flow chamber, Cornell Medical College (2001)
Micro-fabricated an immunosensor for the detection of aflatoxin, JHU/APL (1996)
Development and Testing of a displacement Flow Immunoassay, NRL (1990-1996)
Teach courses in both Engineering and Biology Departments. Responsible for general engineering courses, developing new bioengineering courses, physiology laboratory and incorporating computer-based experiments in the laboratory. Coordinate the bioengineering specialization and integrate it within the Engineering Science Program. Developed the bioengineering research laboratory. Design and supervise clinically oriented research projects for both undergraduates and graduate students.
ENGG 9A: Introduction to Engineering
ENGG 181: Introduction to Bioengineering
ENGG 166B: Medical Instrumentation
ENGG 176: Network Analysis
ENGG 179: Control Systems Engineering
ENGG 182: Biomechanics and Biomaterials
ENGG 183: Special Topics in Bioengineering
BIO 144: Animal Physiology Laboratory
Supervised Student Projects:
Mechano-Chemical Alteration of Endothelial Cell Morphology and Function
Design and Construction of a conflate Viscometer
Design of a Proximal Radial Head Prosthesis
Artificial Urinary Sphincters
Membrane Displacement Immunoassay for Explosives
Kinetics of Immobilized Antibody-Antigen Interactions
Real Time, Body Surface EKG Signal Mapping and Recording
Pump/Controller Unit for a Left Ventricular Assist Device
Finite Element Analysis of Cardiac Muscle Cells
Cellular Volume Responses to Hypoosmotic Stresses
Cardiac Muscle Properties during Cardiac Ablation
Finite Element Analysis of Cardiac Muscle Cells
Frequency Analysis of Electrocardiograms
Selective Hearing: Construction of a Vocal Stripper
Piezoelectric Film Transducer for Heart Rate Monitoring
An Assay for Caffeine Detection
Diffusion Considerations in Design of Immunoassays
Design of Toys for Children with Cerebral Palsy
Viscoelastic Considerations in Muscle Mechanics
- Ding BS, Nolan DJ, Guo P, Babazadeh AO, Cao Z, Rosenwaks Z, Crystal RG, Simons M, Sato TN, Worgall S, Shido K, Rabbany SY, Rafii S.Endothelial-derived angiocrine signals induce and sustain regenerative lung alveolarization. Cell. 2011 Oct 28;147(3):539-53.
- Henderson, P.W., Singh, S.P., Krijgh, D.D., Yamamoto, M., Rafii, D.C., Sung, J.J.,, Rafii, S., Rabbany S.Y., Spector JA. (2011) Stromal-derived factor-1 delivered via hydrogel drug-delivery vehicle accelerates wound healing in vivo.Wound Repair Regen. 2011 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Agarwal, U., Ghalayini, W., Dong, F., Weber, K., Zou, Y.R., Rabbany, S.Y., Rafii, S., Penn, M.S. (2010) Role of Cardiac Myocyte CXCR4 Expression in Development and Left Ventricular Remodeling After Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circ Res. 107(5):667-76.
- Ding, B., Nolan, D., Butler, J., James, D., Babazadeh, A.O., Rosenwaks, Z., Mittal, V., Kobayashi H., Shido, K., Lyden, D., Sato, T., Rabbany, S.Y., Rafii, S. (2010) Inductive angiocrine signals from sinusoidal endothelium are required for liver regeneration. Nature 468(7321):310-5. (Rabbany, S.Y. is co-senior author)
- James, D., Nam, H., Seandel, M., Nolan, B., Janovitz, T., Tomishima, M., Studer, L., Lee, G., Lyden, D., Benezra, R., Zaninovic, N., Rosenwaks, Z., Rabbany, S.Y., Rafii S. (2010) Expansion and Maintenance of Human Vasculogenic Embryonic Stem Cell-derived Endothelial Cells by TGF? Inhibition is Id1 Dependent. Nature Biotechnology, 28(2):161-6. (Rabbany, S.Y. is co-senior author)
- Rabbany, S.Y., James, D., Rafii, S. (2010) New Dimensions in Vascular Engineering: Opportunities for Cancer Biology. Tissue Eng Part A. 16(7):2157-9.
- Rabbany, S.Y., Pastore, J., Yamamoto, M., Miller, T., Rafii, S., Aras, R., Penn, M. (2010) Continuous Delivery of Stromal Cell-Derived Factor-1 from Alginate Scaffolds Accelerates Wound Healing. Cell Transplantation, 19(4):399-408.
- Yamamoto, M., James, D., Li, H., Butler, J., Rafii, S., Rabbany, S.Y. (2010) Generation of Stable Co-cultures of Vascular Cells in a Honeycomb Alginate Scaffold. Tissue Engineering, Part A –16:299-308.
- James, D., Rabbany, S.Y., Rafii S. (2008) Hitting the mother lode of tumor angiogenesis. Nature Biotechnology 26(7):769-70.
- Seandel, M., Butler, J., Kobayashi, H., Hooper, A., White, I., Zhang, F., Vertes, E.L., Kobayashi, M., Zhang, Y., Shmelkov, S., Hackett, N., Rabbany, S.Y., Boyer, J., Rafii S. (2008) Generation of a functional and durable vascular niche by the adenoviral E4ORF1 gene. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) 105:19287–92.
- Rabbany, S.Y., and Rafii, S. (2007) Book Review - Cell of Cells: The Global Race to Capture and Control the Stem Cell. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 117:2349.
- Cytokine preconditioning promotes codifferentiation of human fetal liver CD133+ stem cells into angiomyogenic tissue.Circulation. 111:1175-83, 2005. [Abstract]
- Simulated microgravity impairs leukemic cell survival through altering VEGFR-2/VEGF-A signaling pathway. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 33:1405-10, 2005.[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S.Y., Heissig, B., Hattori, K., and Rafii, S. (2003) Molecular Pathways Regulating Mobilization of Marrow-Derived Stem Cells for Tissue Revascularization. Trends in Molecular Medicine 9;3:109-117.[Abstract]
- Role of Mechanical Forces on the Trafficking of Hematopoietic Cells. Proceeding of Keystone Symposia, No. 3064, 2003, 131.
- Rabbany, S.Y., Danielson, M., and Noordergraaf, A. (2001) A Brief Assessment of Myocardial Viability in Surgically Remoldeled Heart. Cardiovascular Engineering: An International J. 1(3):155-161.
- Lane, W.J., Dias, S., Hattori K., Rabbany, S.Y., Wood, J., Moore, M., and Rafii, S. (2000) SDF-1 induced megakaryocytes migration and platelet production is dependent on matrix metalloproteinases. Blood 15;96:4152-9.[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S.Y., Lane, W.J., Tabaksblat, M., and Rafii, S. (2000) Shear Stress Induced Modulation of Human Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptors (VEGFR-1 & VEGFR-2). Heart and Vessels, Suppl. 13:41,E12.
- Rabbany, S. Y., Lane, W.J., Marganski, W.A., Kusterbeck, A. W., and Ligler, F.S. (2000) Trace Detection of Explosives Using a Membrane-base Displacement Immunoassay. Journal of Immunological Methods 246:69-77.[Abstract]
- FGF-2 Induces Angiogenesis by Upregulating VEGFR-2 (KDR). Biophysical Journal, 76(1), A151, 1999.
- Holt, D. B., Rabbany, S. Y., Kusterbeck, A. W., and Ligler, F. S. (1999) Advances in Flow Displacement Immunoassay Design. Reviews in Analytical Chemistry 18:107-132.
- Rabbany, S. Y., Marganski, W.A., Kusterbeck, A.W., and Ligler, F. S. (1998) A Membrane-based Displacement Flow Immunoassay. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 13:939-944.
- Rabbany, S. Y., Piervincenzi, R. T., Kusterbeck, A. W., Bredehorst, R., and Ligler, F. S. (1998) Dissociation Rate Kinetics in a Solid-Phase Flow Immunoassay. Analytical Letters, 31(10):1663-1675.
- Rabbany, S. Y. (1998) New-Age Rapid Diagnosis of Acute Myocardial Injury. In: Analysis and Assessment of Cardiovascular Function. Edited by: G. Drzewiecki and J. Li, 128-141.
- Rabbany, S. Y., Kresh, J. Y., and Noordergraaf, A. (1997) Differentiation of Intramyocardial Fluid Pressure from Fiber Stress. Journal of the Health Care and Technology, 5:145-157.[Abstract]
- Palladino, J. L., Rabbany, S. Y., Muiler, J. P. , and Noordergraaf, A. (1997) A Perspective on Myocardial Contractility. Journal of the Health Care and Technology, 5:135-144.[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S. Y., Piervincenzi, R. T., Judd, L., Kusterbeck, A. W., Bredehorst, R., and Ligler, F. S. (1997) Assessment of Heterogeneity in Antibody-Antigen Displacement Reactions. Analytical Chemistry, 69:175-182. [Abstract]
- Selinger, J. V., and Rabbany, S. Y. (1997) Theory of Heterogeneity in Displacement Reactions. Analytical Chemistry, 69:170-174.
- Rabbany, S. Y., Donner, B.L., and Ligler, F. S. (1994) Optical Immunosensors. Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering 22(5/6):307-346. [Abstract]
- Rabbany, S. Y., Kusterbeck, A. W., Bredehorst, R., and Ligler, F. S. (1994) Binding Kinetics of Immobilized Antibodies in a Flow Immunosensor. Sensors and Actuators, 29(1-3):72-78.
- Golden, J. P., Anderson, G. P., Rabbany, S. Y., and Ligler, F. S. (1994) Fiber Optic-Based Biosensors: Fluorescent Signal Acquisition from Continuously Tapered Probes. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 41(6):585-591.[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S. Y., Funai, J., and Noordergraaf, A. (1994) Intracellular Pressure Generation in a Contracting Myocyte. Heart and Vessels Journal, 9(4):169-174..[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S. Y., Kusterbeck, A. W., Bredehorst, R., Ligler, F. S. (1994) Effect of Antibody Density on the Displacement Kinetics of a Flow Immunoassay. Journal of Immunological Methods, 168:227-234.[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S. Y., Drzewiecki, G., and Noordergraaf, A. (1993) Peripheral Vascular Effects on Auscultatory Blood Pressure Measurement. Journal of Clinical Monitoring, 9:9-17. [Abstract]
- Ligler, F. S., and Rabbany, S. Y. (1992) Biological Microstructures in Biosensors. In: Synthetic Microstructures in Biological Research, Edited by J. M. Schnur and M. Peckerar, Plenum Press 67-75.
- Wemhoff, G. A., Rabbany, S. Y., Kusterbeck, A. W., Ogert, R. A., Bredehorst, R., and Ligler, F. S. (1992) Kinetics of Antibody Binding at Solid-Liquid Interfaces in Flow. Journal of Immunological Methods, 156:223-230.[Abstract]
- Rabbany, S. Y. (1991) The Genesis of Intramyocardial Pressure. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. Available from University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, MI.
Professional & Technical Memberships:
Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) 1985-Present
Biophysical Society 1998-Present
Cardiovascular System Dynamic Society (CSDS) 1984-Present
Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) 1994-Present
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 1985-Present
Biking, Gardening, Reading, Book Collecting, Classical Music.