Professor of Marketing and International Business
Weller Hall 203
Send an Email
DegreesPHD, 1983, CUNY Baruch Coll; MPHIL, 1982, CUNY Baruch Coll; MBA, 1978, Hofstra Univ; BA, 1961, CUNY Brooklyn Coll
Teaching:• MKT 101
• MKT 124
• MKT 135
Areas of Expertise
- Political Marketing
- Age Life Cycle and Aging Americans
- News 12 Public Opinion Polls
- Direct Interactive Marketing and Media
- Cross-cultural Consumer Services
- Consumer Trust
- Elderly Markets
Ph.D. in Business
Specialization in Consumer Behavior
Graduate SChool & University Center,
City University of New York
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Marketing .
Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Education
Brooklyn College, City University of New York, New York
- Schiffman, L., Thelen, S. T., & Sherman, E. "Interpersonal and Political Trust:
Modeling Levels of Citizens' Trust". European Journal of Marketing (2010),44 (3/4)
- Cohen, D. E. Sherman, and L. Schiffman, "An Examination of a Firm-Level Model of
Green Marketing Strategies" GBATA Global Business and Technology Conference
Proceedings summer 2009 Prague, Czech Republic
- Sherman, Elaine, Leon Schiffman, & Shawn T. Thelen (2008). Impact of Trust on
Candidates, Branches of Government and the Media Within the Context of the 2004 U.S.
Presidential Election. Journal of Political Marketing, 7 (2), 105-130.
- Schiffman, L., Sherman, E., Cohn, D "Looking in on Global Consumer Users:
To Develop Better Product Feature Sets." Evolution and Revolution in the Global
Knowledge Economy: Enhancing Innovation and Competitiveness Worldwide'
Proceedings (2008) (vol.10th). GBATA ( Global Business and Technology Association)
- Schiffman,L., D.Cohen , E. Sherman, J. Jaesok, "An Investigation of the Opening Blog
Page: Preferences for Text or Pictures" Achieving Competitive Advantage Through
Managing Global Resources Proceedings, 2007, GBATA (Global Business and
Technology Association), Taipei, Taiwan
- Cohn, Debra, Leon G. Schiffman, & Elaine Sherman (2006). Advertising-Marketing
Professionals: Themes of Thinking of the Benefits and Burdens of Blogs Academy of
Marketing Science/Korean Academy of Marketing Science Proceedings, Seoul,
- Sherman, Elaine, Leon Schiffman, & Shawn T. Thelen (2005). Political Trust:
A Comparison of Younger and Older Voters Within the Context of the 2004 U.S.
Presidential Election,. ICPM Proceedings, April, Kastoria, Greece.
- Sherman, Elaine, & Mary Long (2004). Understanding Online Recreational Shoppers.
Navigating Crisis and Opportunities in Global Market: Leadership, Strategy and
Governance - Proceedings, (6th vol.). GBATA (Global Business and Technology
Association), 2004, pp. 695-702, Capetown, South Africa.
- Schiffman, Leon, Elaine Sherman, & Mary Long (2003). Towards a Better
Understanding of the Interplay of Personal Values and the Internet. Psychology and
Marketing, 20 (2), 169-185.
- Sherman, Elaine & Leon Schiffman (2002). Political Marketing Research in the 2000
U.S. Election. Journal of Political Marketing, 1 (2/3), Spring, 53-68
- Schiffman, Leon, Elaine Sherman, & Nicole Kirpalani, (2002). Trusting Souls: A
Segmentation of the Voting Public. Psychology and Marketing, 19 (12), 993-1008.
- Sherman, Elaine, Leon Schiffman, & Anil Mathur (2001). The Influence of Gender on
the New Age Elderly's Consumption Orientation. Psychology and Marketing, 18 (10),
- Sherman, E. and M. Topol, "Direct Marketing's Future: Where's the Promise and
Threat of the Web? A Global Strategy Perspective," Academy of Marketing Science
World Marketing Conference, eds. A. Manrai and L. Meadows, Malta, June 23-26, 1999,
- Schiffman, L., M. Long, and E. Sherman, "High Tech Versus Human Touch: An
Exploration of the Perceptions of High Technology Users of the Internet," Academy
of Marketing Science World Marketing Conference, eds. A. Manrai and L. Meadows,
Malta, June 23-26, 1999, pp. 229-230.
- Newman, B. and E. Sherman, "The Role of Direct Marketing in Politics: Implications
for the Internet" in Marketing and Competition in the Information Age of 28th EMAC
(European Marketing Academy), Berlin, May 1999.
- Sherman, Elaine, Anil Mathur, & Leon Schiffman (1998). Opportunities for Marketing
Travel Services to New Age Elderly. Journal of Services Marketing, 12 (3/4).
- Sherman, Elaine, Anil Mathur, & R. B. Smith (1997). Effects of Store Image and
Mood on Consumer Behavior: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis. Psychology and
Marketing, 14 (4), 361-378.
- Sherman, E. and M. Topol, "Anticipating the Impact of New Technologies on
Retailing," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 3 (2), Spring 1996, pp.
- Sherman, Elaine & Leon Schiffman, (1994). Marketers Challenge to Understand the
New-Age Elderly. Werbeforschung und Praxis, 186-190.
- Topol, Martin & Elaine Sherman, (1994). Trends and Challenges of Expanding
Internationally via Direct Marketing. Journal of Direct Marketing, 8 (1), 32-43.
- Topol, M. and E. Sherman, "Trends and Challenges of Expanding Internationally via
Direct Marketing," Journal of Direct Marketing, Winter 1994, Vol. 8 (1), pp. 32-43.
- Schiffman, Leon & Elaine Sherman (1991). The Value Orientation of New-Age Elderly:
The Coming of an Ageless Market. Journal of Business Research, 22 (2), 187-194.
- Sherman, Elaine & Leon Schiffman (1991). Quality Assessment of Older Consumers: A
Retrospective Review, Journal of Business and Psychology, 6 (1), 107-119.
- Sherman, Elaine, Joel Green, & Richard Plank (1991). Exploring Business-to-Business
Direct Mail Campaigns: Comparing One-Sided, Two-Sided, and Competitive Message
Structures. Journal of Direct Marketing, 5 (2), 25-29.
- Sherman, E., "A Retrospective of Selected Issues Concerning Quality of Life and the
Elderly Consumer," Quality of Life Studies in Marketing and Management, eds. L.
Meadows and M. Sirgy, Quality of Life Conference, 1990, pp. 228-238.
- Sherman, E., "Aging, Life Cycles and the Sociology of Time," Advances in Consumer
Research, eds. M. Goldberg, G. Gorn, and R. Pollay, Association of Consumer
Research, 1990, Vol. 17, pp. 902-904.
- Sherman, E., Schiffman L. and Thelen, S. (2012) "Young Voters' Trust of Information and Media Sources: The 2008 U. S. Presidential Election" Journal of Political Marketing 11,(4)246-265
- Sherman, E., Schiffman L. and Zhang, Y.(2011) "A Cross-Cultural Investigation of Consumer frugality: the Case of the United States and China" Fulfilling the Worldwide Sustainability Challenge: Strategies, Innovations, and Perspectives for Forward Momentum in Turbulent Times GBATA Global Business and Technology Proceedings Istanbul, Turkey (17)921-927
Awards & Editorial Boards with Reviewing
Beta Gama Sigma Chapter Honoree
Reviewer, Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science (JGAMS)
Reviewer, Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science
2010 - present
Reviewer, Journal of Applied Research in Quality of Life,(ARQOL)
Alumni of the Year Award
Zarb School of Business
Professor Plus Incentive Award
2002 - present
Journal of Political Marketing
2009 - present
Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science
2004 - present
Journal of Business Research
Awarded "Fellow of the International Society of Quality of Life Studies"
1991 - present
Journal of Consumer Marketing
1987 - present
Journal of Services Marketing
- Senior Projects Director, Market Discovery Group, 1984-2008
- Pollster, NEWS 12 Television, Hofstra /NEWS 12 Public Opinion Poll,
- Lightpath: Senior Long Island Golf Classic Survey, 2000.
- AccuStaff/Career Horizon 1998 Salary and Employment Survey,
AccuStaff, New York, 1998.
- Education Committee Advisor, Direct Marketing Day in New York, 1985-
- Research Study for Tempforce/Career Horizon: Salary and Employment
Trends, Westbury, New York, 1991-1997
Teaching InterestsMarketing principles, marketing management, consumer behavior , interactive and direct marketing
Research Interestspolitical marketing, consumer behavior, cross cultural marketing, trust and political marketing, new media and trust
Recent Courses Taught
|MKT 101||PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING||Undergraduate|
|MKT 124||CONSUMER BEHAVIOR||Undergraduate|
|MKT 135||INTERACTIVE & DIRECT MARKETING||Undergraduate|
|MKT 174||BUSINESS INTERNSHIP||Undergraduate|
|MKT 185||INTERNSHIP IN MARKETING||Undergraduate|