Professor of Anthropology
Davison Hall 200C
Send an Email
DegreesPHD, 1993, CUNY Gr Sch & Univ Cnt; MPHIL, 1988, CUNY Hunter Coll; BA, 1984, Univ Mass Amherst
- Global Capitalism
- Working Class Cultures
- Nationalist Movements
- Popular Culture
- Industrial Organization
- Western Europe
- North America
- "Activism and Class Identity and at the Saturn Automobile Factory" for Social Movements: A Reader, June Nash, Ed. Blackwell Publishers (2004)
- "Drinking Rituals, Identity and Politics in a Basque Town" for Drinking Culture: Alcohol and the Expression of Identity, Class, and Nation, Tom Wilson Ed., Berg Publishers, Oxford/New York (forthcoming, 2005)"
- 'More Basque Than You!': Class, Youth Culture, and Basque Identity in Radical-Nationalist Bars," Identities, Global Studies in Culture and Power, 2002, 9(1):39-68.
- "From the Margins: Punk Rock and the Repositioning of Ethnicity and Gender in Basque Identity"Basques in the Contemporary World: Migration, Identity, and Globalization. William A. Douglass, Carmelo Urza, Linda White, and Joseba Zulaika, Eds. Vol. 1-Basque Culture. University of Nevada Press, 2000.
- "The Mondrag'n Model as Post-Fordist Discourse: Considerations on the Production of Post-Fordism." Critique of Anthropology, 1999, 19(4): 379-400.
- The Myth of Mondrag'n: Cooperative, Politics and Working-Class Life in a Basque Town. 1996. State University of New York Press.
I am currently writing a book on the Saturn Automobile Corporation in which I explore how workers' identities and worldviews are affected by Saturn's unique corporate philosophy, brand image, and workplace structure. The research examines the transformation of working-class subjectivity with the transition to post-Fordism industrial arrangements.
Recent Courses Taught
|ANTH 004||(BH, CC) CULTURAL DIVERSITY||Undergraduate|
|ANTH 152||METHODS IN ENTHOGRAPHC RESERCH||Undergraduate|
|ANTH 185||METHODS IN ANTH||Undergraduate|
|ANTH 188||SPECIAL TOPICS: FOOD & CULTURE||Undergraduate|
|ANTH 191||ADV SEMINAR IN ANTH||Undergraduate|
|HUHC 011||(HP) C&E FALL SOCIAL SCIENCES||Undergraduate|
|LABR 001A||(IS) INTRO TO LABOR STUDIES||Undergraduate|