EXCITING NEW OPPORTUNITY FROM HOFSTRA AND IDEAS:
CLASS VISITS TO THE HOFSTRA
Hofstra University’s STEM Studio is a teaching and learning lab that offers a distinctive problem-based curriculum of math and science design challenges customized for grades 3-8.
Focused on STEM unifying concepts, students engage in hands-on, minds-on investigations in small groups.
- Open for morning visits by appointment.
- Grades 3-6 visit on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
- Grades 7-8 visit on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- Recommended visit is 2½ hours. One class (maximum 32 students) can be accommodated each morning.
- Each visit is $275; a four visit series is $1,000. Districts that purchase the series may elect to send the same class or different classes. Payment must be arranged prior to visit. Purchase orders are accepted and can cover multiple visits.
STEM Studio is a BOCES reimbursable field trip.
- Multiple visits by a class are encouraged – the curriculum changes four times during the year.
- For more information or to make an appointment for a class visit, contact Eloise Gmur, IDEAS Project Coordinator at 516-463-5792 or via email
- STEM field trips can be expanded by visiting the Cradle of Aviation museum directly following a visit to the Hofstra STEM Studio. To book an extended field trip, contact Jennifer Baxmeyer at (516) 572-0559 after the STEM Studio date is confirmed.
Hofstra STEM Studio Class Visit Curriculum 2012 - 2013
The STEM Studio offers two different units per semester (four different units per year), each with six learning spaces. Each learning space is designed around a task with multiple solution sets and pathways. Each task is accompanied by an array of material that can be used to solve the problem.
Unit Schedule for 2012 - 2013
Sept. 24 – Nov. 2, 2012 Growing and Changing: The Living Environment
Nov. 9 – Dec. 17, 2012 Forces and Motion: The Physical Setting
Feb. 6 – Mar. 18, 2013 Pushes and Pulls: The Physical Setting
Apr. 3 – May 6, 2013 Classifying and Modeling: The Living Environment
All units include math and science topics within the New York State curricula.
To read a Hofstra Horizons article about the STEM Studio click here: http://www.hofstra.edu/about/Administration/Provost/HofHrz/hofhrz_sp12_brooks.html