Since January of 2003, IDEAS has been dedicated to increasing public understanding of science. It further seeks to encourage greater interest in advanced study in the sciences and technology by enhancing the skills of pre-college and college science and technology educators.
To achieve these goals, IDEAS engages in the following activities.
- Promoting dialogue among scientists, science educators, and the general public.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Science Cafes at Hofstra for 10th grade students – Limited availability, registration required
- NEW THIS YEAR: HOFSTRA STEM Studio class visits
- Providing coursework toward extensions to initial science teaching certifications.
- Enhancing campus awareness of current science through events and exhibits.
- Connecting with science and educational associations in the New York area.
The IDEAS Institute is located in the renovated Hagedorn Hall, a state-of-the art technology facility on Hofstra's campus, which serves as the home of the School of Education. Hofstra University's SOE enjoys a strong national reputation as a leader in the preparation of future educators.