Media Contact:Ginny Greenberg
202 Hofstra Hall
Phone: RSVP 516-463-5339
Send an E-mail
Date: Mar 09, 2012
Hempstead for Hofstra/Hofstra for Hempstead
38th Annual Scholarship Dinner, March 29, 2012Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY … The 38th Annual Hempstead for Hofstra/Hofstra for Hempstead Scholarship Dinner, which raises money to help Village of Hempstead students attend Hofstra University, will be held on Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. in the Main Dining Room of the Sondra and David S. Mack Student Center, North Campus. Black tie optional.
Thirty-eight years ago, a dedicated and caring group of volunteers met for the first time to raise scholarship funds to make it possible for deserving students from the Village of Hempstead to attend Hofstra University. Since its founding, more than 300 young men and women have benefited from these scholarships. However, the Hempstead for Hofstra/Hofstra for Hempstead Committee does more than award scholarships; it strengthens the bond between the Village of Hempstead and Hofstra University with the annual presentation of the prestigious Unispan Award to individuals whose professional or personal lives have enriched the Hempstead community. The award, named for the original pedestrian bridge over Hempstead Turnpike that unites Hofstra’s north and south campuses, symbolizes the close ties between the University and the Village of Hempstead.
This year’s Unispan Award recipients are:
• Evangelist Reginald Benjamin, founding executive director of Able Body of Believers Alliance (ABBA) Leadership Center, Inc.
• Thelma Burnett, owner and president, Carl C. Burnett Funeral Home, Inc.
• Dr. Rodney Gilmore, principal, Jackson Main School
• Michael McGowan, assistant chief, Hempstead Police Department
• Major General Joseph A. McNeil, USAF, Ret., one of the original four students who took part in the Woolworth sit-in on February 1, 1960, in Greensboro, North Carolina
• Reginald V. Terry, director, football administration, Arizona Cardinals
• Timothy L. Terry, assistant director, pro personnel, Green Bay Packers
Tickets are $100 per person. Ticket and sponsorship packages are also available. To make your reservations and other purchases online, please visit hofstra.edu/h4h, or contact Kristen Ehrling, assistant director for special events, at 516-463-5339 or Kristen.Ehrling@hofstra.edu.
Hofstra University is a dynamic private institution where students can choose from about 140 undergraduate and more than 150 graduate programs in liberal arts and sciences, business; engineering; communication; education, health and human services; and honors studies, as well as a School of Law and the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine.