HOW TO READ YOUR BILLING STATEMENT
This sample is designed to assist you with understanding your billing statement. The figures and dates given on this sample are for illustration purposes only and do not reflect your personal charges/credits or actual payment due dates.
Please review your billing statement very carefully. Your statement reflects your registration schedule and charges/credits as of the printing date.
- Statement Date - The date the statement was generated.
- Fall Semester 2011 Balance - The total amount of charges minus credits/anticipated credits for the semester that the statement represents.
- Previous/Future Balance - The total amount of charges/credits that remain from a previous term or charges/credits for a future term that may be due/available now or in the future.
- Amount Due – This is the amount that must be paid in full by the due date.
If you are receiving scholarship or grant awards or tuition assistance from another institution (charitable organization, employer, etc.) and you wish to reduce the amount you are expected to pay by that amount, you will need to provide documentation of the award before the amount due can be reduced.
- Due Date - When the bill must be paid. If the bill is not paid by this date, it may result in late fees/interest, and blocks against receiving services such as registration, dining plans, etc.
If this says: “Upon Receipt,” this amount must be paid as soon as possible to avoid late fees or other consequences listed above.
- Tuition, Fees, Room and Board - This section shows a summary of all charges including, tuition, University fees, room, board, special course fees, and any fines and penalties for the term.
Changes in your registration can affect these charges. You are responsible for charges that result from changes to your class schedule.
New Students - If you have not participated in Orientation, your bill reflects estimated charges based on your anticipated course load. A revised billing statement will be sent to you after you register, but the due date will not change.
- Credits/Anticipated Credits - This section shows a summary of your payments, including anticipated financial aid for the term.
The financial aid listed here may include anticipated aid based on your current credit load. Changes in the number of credits for which you are registered may impact your financial aid.
All questions regarding financial aid eligibility and awards should be directed to the Student Financial Services Suite at email@example.com or you can call the office at 516-463-8000 (Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.).
- Class Schedule - This section shows your class schedule as of the printing of this statement. If you made recent changes to your registration, they may not be reflected here. You can go on-line to see your most up-to-date schedule. If a class does not appear here or on your on-line schedule of classes, you are not registered for that class and will not receive credit.
Building Codes - a complete listing of building codes is available at www.hofstra.edu/academicscheduling (click on "Building Codes Key").
There are some special building codes that might appear on this schedule and represent courses offered at off-campus locations. For example:
- STUDY ABROAD - This course is part of a study abroad opportunity.
- ONLINE - All material, discussions, etc. for this course will be delivered via the internet.
- Important Comments Section - Check here for important comments regarding this billing statement.
- Lockbox Remittance Form - Detach this portion and return with your check payment in the envelope provided.
IMPORTANT PAYMENT INFORMATION
Checks, Cash or Money Orders - Tuition, housing, dining plan and related fees may be paid by personal check electronically on the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu, 24 hours a day/7 days a week; submitted in person at the Student Financial Services Suite, Room 206, Memorial Hall, 2nd floor; or mailed to our lockbox facility at Hofstra University, P.O. Box 371988, Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7988.
Cash and money orders are accepted at the Student Financial Services Suite, Room 206, Memorial Hall.
Debit Cards - Tuition, housing, dining and related fees may be paid by PIN/Less debit card on the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu, 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Please check with your financial institution to ensure your bank participates in the PIN/Less debit card program and to verify dollar value limitations before submitting your information.
Payment Plan Options - Hofstra University has several payment plan options available to students and those helping them pay for their education. Students may divide their total outstanding balance, after financial aid, into easy to manage monthly installments. Further information regarding the payment plan options is available at hofstra.edu/paymentoptions. Please note that payment plans are not available for the January intersession and summer sessions.