Suggested Questions for Landlords:
- What is the start date and end date of the lease?
- What is the move in date?
- When will I be expected to renew the lease?
- What is the process of terminating a lease?
- Do you take checks from all tenants in the apartment/house, or just one check from the group?
- How much is the security deposit and what should I do to receive as much of my deposit back as possible?
- If the last month of the lease is not a complete month, will the rent be prorated?
- How many days can go by before the rent is late?
- Are there any late payment penalties?
- How much is the sublet fee? What is the sublet process?
- Can I hang up pictures/paint without a fee?
- What utilities are included in rent? If none, what is an estimate of monthly cost?
- If no one is in the apartment for the summer, can the utilities be turned off?
- Is Wifi available? If not, what is the estimated cost?
- How many parking places are available to the apartment and is there a monthly charge? Will I have to sign a parking contract for 12 months?
- If there is not a washer/dryer in the unit, where is the laundry facility? If there is a laundry room, is it coin-operated or is there an electronic payment system? How many washers/dryers are in the laundry room?
- Is there a maintenance person on call 24/7? What is the emergency phone number?
- For a house – who is responsible for grass cutting and snow removal?
- Do all bedrooms have smoke detectors? Are they hard wired or battery operated?
- Does the house/complex have a sprinkler system? Who pays for it?
- Where is the nearest bus stop?
- What type of heat does the house/apt. have? (gas or electric)
- Is there any security in the building or in the area? How does security differ on weekdays and weekends? During holidays/breaks?
- Are there exterior lights and are they working?