Scheduling Guidelines for Student Organizations
Room reservation requests are coordinated by the Office of Event Management in order received. All reservation requests for meetings and events require a completed Student Room Reservation Request Form. The Student Room Reservation Request Form is available in the Event Management Office Student Center Room 112 or on our website.
The forms must be submitted to the Hospitality Desk located in the Student Center room 112, and status of your request will be completed within three business days. The hospitality staff will date and time stamp your request, make you a copy, and submit for it review. The hospitality staff can also assist in checking availability of space prior to submitting. The form availability of space can be viewed on our website at calendar.hofstra.edu Reservations are booked on a first come first served basis, and although space may be open on the calendar be advised that requests might be submitted before yours. Also, note the set up times and breakdown times are included on the Event Calendar when you select the “LOCATIONS” view. All events require appropriate time to set and breakdown the room.
Recognized student groups can designate either one or two club members to reserve space for your organization. Only these individuals can request space, update event information, or cancel events. Please pick up and return the Student Organization Contact Form at the Event Management Office. The Event Management Office will coordinate approval from the appropriate campus department. The form must be completed each semester or whenever individuals are added or removed.
Available Spaces- Please note that you have the option of picking “best available” spaces and we will choose the best available space for your event. If you have specific requests, you may also list your first second and third space preferences. Please indicate best available if possible. The Scheduler will then have the most flexibility and better success accommodating your request. The following spaces can be listed as a preference.
- Meeting Rooms - Student Center 141 (up to 49 people), 142 (up to 49), 143 (up to 49), 145 (up to 49), 218 (14), 219 (up to 30), Plaza Room West (up to 94), Plaza Room Middle (up to 69), Plaza Room East (up to 75), Hofstra USA Lion’s Den (120), Hofstra USA Kate & Willy’s (50), and Academic Classrooms
- Program Spaces - Hofstra USA (350), Student Center Multiple Purpose Room (415), Student Center Theater (334), Library Cultural Center Theater (132), Student Center Plaza Rooms (East, West & Center)(238), Student Center Greenhouse (120), Library East Wing Room 246 (150), Monroe 142 (375), and Netherlands Dining Room North End (50)
Events are permitted Sunday - Thursday 8 am – 11 pm and Friday – Saturday 8 am - midnight. Events are not permitted after the first study day through the last semester exam. Requests outside these hours require the Dean of Students approval. Please indicate justification for a time extension on your reservation request. The Event Management Office can coordinate the request.
- The first step in the event planning process is to secure the space. A student group should submit the Student Room Reservation Request form BEFORE seeking appropriate signatures. The Event Management Hospitality Desk staff will make a copy of your request which can be used to collect signatures. Room Reservation Requests for events to be held in Hofstra USA, Outdoor Quads, Monroe 142, events charging admission, hosting external entertainment (DJ, band etc.), hosting an off campus speaker, or events open to the public all require additional department signatures.
Meetings and other events not included above require only the student scheduler signature, and can be confirmed if the form is complete without additional signatures. Events requiring additional signatures will remain in a tentative state until confirmed. Please remember to submit your form to the reception desk once all appropriate signatures are completed. Your event will not be confirmed without the returned form. Room Reservation Request Form status will be communicated by email within three business days.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the status of your event, please contact Lauren Purcaro in the Event Management Office.
- The next step in the event planning process is to seek required Hofstra department Signatures. All student clubs have a Campus Department Program Office. Your Program Office will be one of the following offices: Student Leadership and Activities, Multicultural and International Student Programs, or Recreation and Intramural Sports. The Event Management Office will have the current Campus Department Program Office assignments at the Hospitality Desk.
- If your request is for Hofstra USA, three or four signatures are required: Student Leadership and Activities Office, your Campus Department Program Office (if other than Student Leadership & Activities), Public Safety and Director of Dining Services.
- If your request is for Monroe 142, two or three signatures are required: The appropriate Campus Department Program Office (Student Leadership &Activities or Multicultural and International Student Programs or Recreation and Intramural Sports), and Public Safety. A third signature is required from Alan Pittman only if you are using the ticket office to sell tickets or requesting stage lighting.
- If your event is charging an admission, hosting an off campus speaker, providing outside entertainment (DJ, Band, Dancers), or is outdoors or open to the public, two signatures are required. The appropriate Campus Department Program Office(Student Leadership &Activities or Multicultural and International Student Programs or Recreation and Intramural Sports) and Public Safety. Any group inviting a speaker from off campus must file the appropriate background material with the Office of Student Leadership and Activities at least two weeks in advance of the date of the event.
- The Hofstra Professional Staff can be located at the following Campus Department Program Offices.
- Office of Student Leadership and Activities- Student Center room 260, phone- 463-6914, email: Student Leadership and Activities
- Multicultural and International Student Programs- Student Center room 242, phone 463-6796, email: Multicultural and International Student Programs
- Recreation and Intramural Sports – Recreation Center room 206, phone 463-4067, email: Recreation and Intramural Sports
- Other Departments
- Confirmed events require all of the following: a completed reservation request form with all room set up and AV information and all required signatures. The event will remain tentative until all requirements are submitted to the Event Management Office and reviewed by the Event Management Scheduler. Once the event is confirmed, it will be updated in the scheduling software. The room reservation requester will receive an official confirmation from the Event Management Office by email. The confirmation will also be available for pick up at the Student Center Room 112 Hospitality Desk. It is very important to keep the official confirmation document! Tentative reservations will be removed and the event cannot take place if the event is not confirmed within three business days prior to the event.
** If there is a question on the status of your event please contact Lauren Purcaro in the Office of Event Management at 463-9052 or email at Student Event Management. **
- Meetings are scheduled on a semester- by- semester basis
- Meeting times are 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm & 9 pm – 10:45 pm
- All meeting rooms will be set up row style in order to allow for quick turnaround for the next group.
Cancelling an Event
Events must be cancelled by the approved student schedulers in writing or by email to Student Event Management. Written cancelations can be submitted to the Hospitality Desk. Events must be cancelled at least one week before the event. Not showing up for a room reservation is considered a cancellation policy violation. The violations will be tracked on a per semester basis and are not cumulative.
Failure to adhere to this policy will result in the following penalties:
- A first offense warrants a verbal warning.
- A second offense warrants a loss of all scheduled events/meeting times for two weeks.
- The third and additional offenses, the club or organization is subject to a fine of $200 per each occurrence. This fine will be in addition to the Student Support Services costs such as custodial set up and av staffing. The fines collected will be deposited into the SGA Club Funding Account.
Audio and Visual Services
Standard AV services and equipment (in stock) are supported at no additional cost to student groups for events hosted within Event Management managed spaces. Videotape services and events in the Sports Facilities may require appropriate charges and will depend on the complexity of the request and transportation requirements. Requests must be submitted at least one week prior to your event, and are suggested to be requested as soon as possible. Cancellations within one week of your event may incur charges for services confirmed or already coordinated.
Ordering Food/ Beverage services
Please contact Lackmann services for all food and beverage services at least one week prior to the event. Lackmann can be reached at x35395 or via website. The use of other caterers is not permitted without written approval from Lackmann.
Scheduling of Sports Facilities (Hofstra Arena, Physical Education Center, and athletic field areas)
- Please contact Ann Combes-Baller, the Associate Director of Sports Facilities, at x36671.
Scheduling Events in the JC Adams Playhouse:
- Please contact Alan Pittman, the Director of Theater Facilities, at x36671.
Scheduling of Classrooms:
The Event Management Office can coordinate room requests for classroom spaces. Classrooms may be used AS IS for events that are conducive to academic activity and schedules, noise level and other activity.
Scheduling of Hofstra University Club:
- Please contact Rich Maha, the University Club Manager, at x36648.
Candles are not allowed under any circumstances
Custodial Coverage: Standard maintenance services on campus are supported at no additional cost for student groups for events hosted within the Event Management managed spaces. Custodial coverage is limited after noon on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Groups may be responsible for coverage if set ups or room monitoring is required.
Maintenance Requests (Work Orders) - Sponsoring clubs are responsible for all costs associated with maintenance requests.
Smoking is not permitted inside buildings and within 25 feet of facilities.
University Function: On University property, it is contrary to rules and unlawful to engage in any action that will impede the normal instructional and/or administrative process of the University or disrupt any normal University function. Therefore, outdoor activities may be scheduled only in areas and at hours that will neither interfere with, nor disturb classes or affect the normal operations of any University offices. Any violation of this general principle will be looked upon as a grave breach of University regulations.