The Career Center at Hofstra University encourages all students to visit us at their earliest opportunity to make the most of their career planning during their years at Hofstra. Our welcoming and knowledgeable staff provides assistance with career exploration, career goals, career preparation, and decision making. It is The Career Center's goal to assist students and recent graduates find career opportunities by serving as a facilitator for them to make connections beyond their Hofstra experience.
As a parent or family member of a Hofstra student, you play an important role in the career development process. We invite you to learn more about The Career Center so that you may encourage your student to take an active role in his/her career planning, and utilize the many services we provide. The Career Center promotes the philosophy that career exploration begins early, and we believe in helping students develop lifelong career skills they can take with them when they graduate.
How Parents Can Help
You can partner with The Career Center to help your student in a few ways:
- Listen to your student’s interests
- Encourage your student to explore careers which fit his/her personality, values and skills freshman and sophomore year
- Stress the importance of planning ahead
- Connect them to opportunities and people you may know of to learn more about a career of interest
With support at home and at Hofstra, your student will be on a path to success!
Here are some more steps you can encourage your student to take with The Career Center:
- Meet with a career counselor as early as freshman year to discuss his/her future
- Schedule an appointment to do a career assessment inventory
- Create a resume and have it critiqued by a career counselor
- Apply to internships and other career-related work experiences using our online posting system, The Pride Career Management System
- Explore The Career Center’s website for various resources using the “Students” link
- Attend various workshops, job fairs, and networking and informational career events (a current listing can be found under the “Students” link, and in our Career Series brochure)
- Talk to professionals for career advice (your student can reach out to the Hofstra Alumni community through our LinkedIn networking site)
- Join our group on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay current with our workshops and events
Do you, as an employer, have an internship or job opportunity for a Hofstra student? Utilize The Career Center’s Pride Career Management System to post your position for free, sign up for our on-campus recruitment program, or attend a career fair. To learn more about these services, visit Services for Employers or call us at 516-463-6060.
- As a parent or family member of a Hofstra student, you can also stay connected to the Hofstra University community through The Office of Parent and Family Programs at http://www.hofstra.edu/parfam/index.html
- For articles related to information on careers and advice for parents visit http://www.jobweb.com/parents.aspx?folderid=120
- Career Coaching Your Kids, Montross, Kane & Ginn, Davies-Black Publishing, 2004
- Letting Go: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding the College Years, Coburn & Treeger, HarperCollins Publishers Inc., 2009
- The Parent’s Crash Course in Career Planning: Helping Your College Student Succeed, Harris & Jones, NTC Publishing Group, 2007
- The Parent’s Practical Guide to College and Careers: How to Help, Not Hover, Cooke, Yellow Iris Publishing, 2008