3-On-3 Basketball Rules
All participants, male and female, must be current students, faculty or employees. Alumni are not permitted to participate in intramurals.
- All participants must present a current HofstraCard. NO CARD = NO ENTRY
- A team consists of 3 players. A minimum of 2 players can start the game
- Forfeit time is 5 minutes after the scheduled game time
- Games are SELF OFFICIATED! The IM supervisor is only there to keep score.
- An “odd-even” method will be used to begin the game. The winner must choose to start on offense or on defense.
- The ball must be brought back to the top of the key following all changes in possession.
- After made baskets, violations, and fouls, the ball must be checked with the defense at the top of the key and passed-in to a teammate.
- Deliberate stalling at the end of the game will result in a change in possession.
- Each team has one timeout.
- Games will be played to 15 points (win by two, cap at 21)
- Games will be limited to 20 minutes. If the game is tied at the end of this period, the next
team to score wins.
- Field goals are worth one and two points. Free throws are worth one point each.
- Possession will change after each score (not make-it-take-it).
- All fouls and violations will be called by the offensive team.
- All fouls will result in the ball being checked at the top of the key. If the player scores and is fouled, the basket will count (one or two points) and one dead-ball free throw will be attempted, followed by a change in possession.
- On the seventh team foul (and every foul thereafter), the opposing team will shoot one free throw and retain possession of the ball.
All players are responsible for their actions, even if they are not in the game. Sportsmanship ratings will be given out at the end of every game by the refs and supervisor. You must have a 3.0 in order to make playoffs.