University Tutorial Program
Your Responsibilities as a Student
Welcome to the University Tutorial Program (UTP) and congratulations on your wise decision to seek the assistance of a tutor. You have taken an important step in ensuring your success this semester. The UTP Tutors and Staff will do everything possible to help you achieve your goals. However, tutoring requires teamwork. The Program works best for those students who are serious, active participants. The following list offers guidelines to help you successfully utilize tutoring services.
- Prepare for your first tutoring session:
- Bring your syllabus
- Become familiar with your course assignments, requirements, and due dates.
- Think about your academic goals and expectations; be prepared to share these with your tutor.
- Identify problem areas to help focus your sessions.
- During each session:
- Keep your appointments.
- Be on time.
- Keep up with all reading and assignments.
- Come prepared to tutoring sessions with completed homework assignments.
- Go to class!!!!
- Be responsible!
UTP Student Policies
- University Tutorial Program services are intended as a supplement to material learned in the classroom. Tutors are most helpful when the student has read the required material and attempted the assignments or readings prior to the appointment.
- Students should arrive at each session prepared with any class notes, readings, assignments, and a list of specific questions or problems.
- Tutors will not complete assignments for students. Tutors are also not responsible for reviewing any material that students miss due to absence from class. Students are expected to attend all classes. UTP services are not a replacement for course attendance.
- Tutors are meant to act as a guide; someone to help students learn how to help themselves. If a student does not understand class material, it is his/her responsibility to seek help from the instructor. A tutor is not a substitute for a course instructor.
- With the exception of drop-in labs, students are required to have a scheduled appointment in order to meet with a tutor. Students may not join pre-scheduled appointments without prior approval from UTP staff.
- Students are expected to attend all scheduled appointments (see Cancellation Policy below).
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. Possible examples of this include, but are not limited to: excessive complaints about class or professor, inappropriate remarks or language, and inappropriate cell phone or computer use.
- Tutoring must take place in the UTP office, library, labs, or other public meeting spaces on campus. Under no circumstances can tutoring appointments take place in the residence halls or off-campus. Failure to abide by this policy will result in loss of tutorial services for the student and dismissal for the tutor.
If you experience any problems or have questions, please contact a UTP staff member at (516) 463-4953 / Send an Email