About Pre-Health Advising
Undergraduate students interested in pursuing health-related professions after graduating from Hofstra should speak to their advisement deans as well as the pre-health adviser in the Center for University Advisement. Health professions include dentistry, nursing, optometry, physician assistant, veterinary medicine, and other related professions. Advisement deans help students choose course selections that will satisfy entrance requirements into the various health-related professional schools. A basic knowledge of biology, chemistry and physics is necessary to pursue advanced study in a health related field. The Center for University Advisement is the official liaison between the University and health professional schools, and will assist students throughout the application process.
Students are encouraged to make an appointment with their Advisement dean and the Pre-health advisor to discuss their interest and plans for pursuing graduate school in health-related professions. Students should contact the Center for University Advisement at (516) 463-6770 or (516) 463-7222 or via E-mail to make an appointment.
Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Center for University Advisement advises Hofstra undergraduate students and alumni interested in entering a health-related professional school, from the moment they express such an interest through the professional school application process. The services provided by the Center for University Advisement include:
- Individual advising and counseling appointments for pre-health students regarding course selection and extracurricular activities
- Presentations and training sessions on topics such as:
- Professional school application services and processes
- Writing and editing personal statements; individual critiquing
- Techniques on how to strengthen your medical school application
- Information on:
- Various health-related professions
- Health-related professional schools
- Summer programs and special programs
- Post-baccalaureate programs
This is a committee comprised of faculty members from the sciences and health professions and family studies departments who help to evaluate a student's credentials for application to health professions schools.
Ellen Miller, Chair
Dr. Beverly Clendening
Dr. Rodney Finzel
Dr. Aleta Labiento
Dr. Ronald Strothkemp
Dr. Laura Vallier