As you consider which schools to apply to, consider these questions:
- What sort of city do I want to be in for the next four years—big or small?
- Is it important for me to be near people who are my “support system”—family and friends?
- If I have a strong ethnic identity, is there a community for me at the school and/or in the city where it’s located?
- What is the “culture” of the medical school? Are faculty members and my peers committed to my success? Does the medical school recognize the importance of the human side of medicine? Of community service?
- What about financial considerations? Is there a state institution that provides financial benefits to its resident students?