Instructions for F-1 and J-1 Students to Apply For
a Driver License (DL) or a Non-Driver Photo ID Card (NDID)
You must have a New York State (NYS)Driver License (DL) or a valid driver license from another US state or from Canada in order to drive in NYS. If you already have a license from a previous state, you must surrender your out-of-state driver license and apply for a NYS DL within 30 days of moving to NYS. If you have never had a Drive License from United States, you need to apply for a Learner’s Permit first. The Learner’s Permit allows for new drivers to gain actual driving experience while being supervised by a licensed driver riding in the same car. After obtaining a Learner’s Permit, a Driver’s License Test may be scheduled with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles which will test your driving abilities. After the test is passed, a Driver’s License will be obtained.
A person of any age who does not have a driver license can apply to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) for a non-driver photo ID card (NDID). We strongly recommend that you apply for a Drive License or a Non-Driver Photo ID Card, once you start your classes at Hofstra University. Please carry your DL or NDID with you instead of your passport and keep your passport in a safe place.
You must provide original documents, when you apply the DL or the NDID. You can fill out the application form in the DMV or you can download the application form MV-44 from http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv44.pdf.
If you have your Social Security Card, you must have 4 points of proof of name along with your Social Security Card.
If you do not have a Social Security Card, you must have 6 points of proof of name plus a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration (SSA) issued within 30 days of your application to DMV, which confirms your ineligibility, along with the INS/DHS documentation that the SSA used to determine that you are ineligible. Please request a letter verifying your active immigration status from the Multicultural and International Student Programs Office (MISPO). You need this letter along with your passport, visa, I-20s to go to SSA to request the letter of ineligibility of SSN.
All proofs of name must show the same name. For students who transferred from another US institution, please make sure you pick up your continued attendance I-20, before you go to DMV.
- Foreign Passport with a Visa and a valid I-94 (You can print out your I-94 from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html). F1 (student) or F2 (spouse or child of student), you must also show the original INS/DHS form I-20, with any subsequent I-20 and “notice of approval” (if appropriate).
- J1 (exchange visitor) or J2 (spouse or child of exchange visitor), you must also show the original INS/DHS from DS-2019 with any subsequent IAP-66 and “notice of approval” (if appropriate).
- US College ID Card with Photo and Transcript
1 point (you could show any one of the following items):
- US Health Insurance Card
- US Utility Bill (must include your name and address)
- US Bank Statement
- US Cancelled Check (with you pre-printed name on it)
- US Cash Card (ATM) (must have your signature & pre-printed name)
- Valid Major US Credit Card
Garden City Office - NYSDMV
801 Axinn Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Via the Meadowbrook Parkway:
- 1. Depart Hofstra Blvd toward RT-24 W / Hempstead Tpke / Hempstead-Bethpage Tpke
- Turn left onto RT-24 E / Hempstead Tpke / Hempstead-Bethpage Tpke
- Take ramp right for Meadowbrook Parkway North toward Mineola
- At exit M2 E, take ramp right toward Zeckendorf Blvd
- Keep straight onto Dibblee Dr
- Turn left onto Zeckendorf Blvd
- Turn right onto E Gate Blvd, and then immediately turn left onto Axinn Ave
- Arrive at 801 Axinn Ave, Garden City, NY 11530