The Student Government Association is made up of full-time undergraduate students of Hofstra University and exists "to recommend polices and procedures, which serve to support and broaden the intellectual social cultural, and political needs of its constituents." Some of the responsibilities of the Student Government Association are overseeing over one hundred clubs and organizations, lobbying in the interest of the full-time undergraduate student population, and programming throughout the academic year.
During the 2005-2006 academic year, the Hofstra University Student Government Association, in conjunction with the Office of Development, established a Student Government Association Fund. The goals of this fund are to assist the Student Government Association in accomplishing its duties and goals for the Hofstra community. In addition, the Student Government Association will act as a network for Hofstra's many clubs and organizations, so they too may be financially aided.
Depending on how one decides to make his or her contribution, donations made to the Student Government Association may be spent in a variety of ways. Some examples are:
- To pay for new office equipment and furniture for the Student Government Associations office when necessary, in order to ensure and improve the organization's ability to function.
- To purchase and maintain Student Government Association Vans when necessary, which are used by student organizations to attend conferences, tournaments, and competitions.
- To pay for improvements to the conditions of club office spaces. These costs would cover proper maintenance, furnishing, card swipe installation so as to allow access to all active club members, and computers.
- To increase the amount of office space available, so that all student run organizations will be able to function more efficiently.
- To expand the Student Government Association's office in the future so that it may more efficiently aid students and organizations.
- To financially assist student clubs, so that they may bring in different speakers, attend important conferences, and hold various events on campus.
- To pay for the creation of more locker and storage space for the benefit of student clubs and organizations.
- To sponsor prominent speakers to come to campus.
- To sponsor more vibrant programming on campus.
- To assist the Student Government Association's committees in accomplishing their goals to help students, clubs, and the Hofstra community as a whole:
- Academic Affairs - to fund for the textbook library, scholarships, and academic or cultural events on campus.
- Club Affairs - to fund for events and activities for clubs, charity competitions between clubs, and ways for clubs to advertise, such as an electronic bulletin board.
- Rules Committee - to fund for events and activities for new clubs and organize events of various natures on campus.
- Student Services - to fund for student focused events and improvements of conditions for students.
- Spirit Committee - to fund for Homecoming, raffles, and other activities at athletic events, Hofstra Spirit Week, a bus or buses to transport students and clubs to Hofstra away games, and floats for the Student Government Association and student clubs.
- To fund for scholarships, endowments, and/or stipends for members of the Student Government Association.
Please consider giving a donation to any one of the funds under the Student Government Association Fund. Every donation goes directly back to the students, helping to enrich their social, cultural, intellectual, and political experience while at Hofstra. Additionally, please contact the Student Government Association at 516-463-6960 for more information about the Student Government Association, the SGA Fund, or if you would like to arrange a meeting with a current member of the Student Government Association to discuss the Student Government Association or the Fund.All donators and their families will be invited to an annual dinner, hosted by the Student Government Association, at the end of each academic year.If you are interested in donating, please click here.