The Hofstra Gonfalons
Of the ten gonfalons, five of the pennantlike ensigns plus the Hofstra Seal were first presented in University ceremonies during the dedication of the Hofstra Library in 1967. The gonfalon for the School of Law was added in 1970, followed by the University Libraries’ gonfalon in 1993, the School of Communication gonfalon in 1996, and the School for University Studies’ gonfalon in 1997, and the Hofstra University Honors College in 2001. The history of the ceremonial use of gonfalons seems lost in antiquity. Probably best remembered is their appearance at the head of the parades of the Crusades where they presented the coats of arms of legion commanders and during battle were the rallying points of the legions. The gonfalons of Hofstra carry the seals of the Colleges and Schools of the University.
The Hofstra Flag and Motto
The Hofstra flag (right), bearing the seal of the University (top left and on the flag), was presented to Hofstra on April 19, 1940, by Dr. Alexander Loudon, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary, in the name of Her Majesty, Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands. The seal is derived from the coat of arms of the House of Orange-Nassau.