There is probably no greater concern, at Hofstra University, then the wellbeing of our student, faculty and staff. This is especially true when it concerns Fire Safety. The following is a list of fire safety tips;
FIRE SAFETY TIPS
1. When cooking in approved areas, cover a grease fire, don't use water
2. Know 2 ways out, wherever you are
3. Use the stairs to evacuate the building not the elevator
4. Know how to activate the fire alarm
5. Know what to do when the fire alarm sounds
6. Get out and stay out whenever the alarm sounds
A more comprehensive listing of Hofstra's Fire Safety Guidelines can be found in "The Guide to Pride Student Handbook"
FIRE SAFETY GUIDELINES
1. Do not chock, block or obstruct the full closing and latching of doors leading to the public hallway
2. No Extension cords are permitted, use surge protectors or plug electric devices directly into the wall outlet
3. No Candles, No Incense or anything that burns are permitted
4. No Smoking indoors
5. No tapestries or fabric items (including flags) shall be placed on the ceiling or walls. Pictures/posters cannot exceed 50% of wallspace
6. No items shall be suspended from the ceiling or within 24” of the ceiling
7. No natural cut trees of any sort shall be erected in the common or living space of any residence hall
8. Do not remove, tamper with or otherwise disturb or damage any fire safety equipment including, sprinklers, smoke detectors, fire alarm pull stations, fire extinguishers, exit signs, fire doors and emergency lighting. The alteration and/or destruction of fire safety equipment affects the safety of all members of the Hofstra community and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
9. Malicious False Alarms, (the activation of a fire alarm pull station when the threat of fire is not present) will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.