Welcome to Hofstra University!
Here are some important tips for your new Hofstra student:
- Don't buy Microsoft Office! Students get a free Office 365 subscription, which allows them to install Microsoft Office on up to 5 PCs or Macs and Office apps on up to 5 tablets or phones. They should click the 'MS Office' icon in 'my apps' (the waffle icon) in the Hofstra Portal and follow the instructions to activate their subscription.
- They should protect themselves by not sharing their Hofstra password with anyone!
- They should use the 'eduroam' wireless network for safe and easy network access!
- Don't send a printer to campus. They can print from anywhere using PridePrint! We have over 40 PridePrint Release Stations in 30 locations.
- Mac or PC? Generally, it doesn't matter but some departments have provided us with computer recommendations by major.
- Is your student bringing a TV to campus? Only TV's with a QAM tuner will work with Hofstra's cable network and a coax cable will be needed to connect the TV to the wall jack. Get the TV lineup and troubleshooting tips here!
- Have any other technology questions? Give us a call at 516-463-7777, option 1
What resources are available for parents:
- Hofstra students receive discounts when purchasing Lenovo and Apple computers. Click here and login on the Portal to access these discounts online.
- The portal for E-Bill and HofCard* payment.
*Choose Parental Pre-pay
Buying a new computer? Here is what we recommend:
Recommended System Specifications for New Computers
NOTE: SSD storage provides the best performance but has a higher cost per gigabyte (GB) than traditional hard drive storage. Unless there is a requirement for a large amount of internal storage (more than 256GB) then we would recommend purchasing a computer with SSD storage. All current Mac computers come with SSD storage.
Hofstra students receive discounts when purchasing Lenovo and Apple computers. Click here and login on the Portal to access these discounts online.
Student Computing Services (SCS) hires and trains students for technical support and learning support positions. Contact us for more information.