Faculty Research Areas
- Supernova Remnants and Explosions
- Light Echoes and Interstellar Dust
- Low Surface Brightness Galaxies
- E. Michael, R. McCray, R. Chevalier, A. Filippenko, P. Lundqvist, P. Challis, B. Sugerman, S. Lawrence, et al., "Hubble Space Telescope Observations of High-Velocity Lyα and Hα Emissions from Supernova Remnant 1987A: The Structure and Development of the Reverse Shock," Astrophysical Journal, 593, 809 (2003).
- B. Sugerman, S. Lawrence, A. Crotts, P. Bouchet, and S. Heathcote, "Evolution and Geometry of Hot Spots in Supernova Remnant 1987A," Astrophysical Journal, 572, 209 (2002).
- R. Fesen, J. Morse, R. Chevalier, K. Borkowski, C. Gerardy, S. Lawrence, and S. van den Bergh, "Hubble Space Telescope WFPC-2 Imaging of Cassiopeia A," Astronomical Journal, 122, 2644 (2001).
- S. Lawrence, A. Crotts, B. Sugerman, R. Uglesich, P. Bouchet, and S. Heathcote, "On the Discovery and Nature of New Hot Spots in SNR 1987A," Astrophysical Journal, 537, L123 (2000).
- General Relativity
- Gravitational Waves
- Early-Universe Cosmology
- B. Bochner and Y. Hefetz, "Grid-based simulation program for gravitational wave interferometers with realistically imperfect optics," Physical Review D, Vol. 68, No. 8, pp. 082001-082019 (2003).
- B. Bochner, "Simulating a Dual-Recycled Gravitational Wave Interferometer with Realistically Imperfect Optics", General Relativity and Gravitation, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 1029-1057 (2003).
- T. Tomaru, et al., "Evaluation of the performance of polished mirror surfaces for the TAMA gravitational wave detector using a wave-front tracing simulation", Applied Optics, Vol. 41, No. 28, pp. 5913-5920 (2002).
Mark A. Edwards
- Experimental Solid State Physics - High Temperature Superconductivity
- Teaching laboratory development
- Physics Education
- M.A. Edwards, J. Howard, D Radcliffe, et al.; Effects of Pre-Sintering Particle Size on the Formation of Sintered EuBa2Cu3O7-x Superconductors, (in progress).
- M.A. Edwards, General Physics Laboratory, 3rd ed., Whittier Publications, Inc. (1999).
- M.A. Edwards, Elementary Physics Laboratory, 2nd ed., Whittier Publications, Inc. (1998)
- Amateur Astronomy
- Laser Spectroscopy
- Rohana Garuthara, Withana Siripala, Photoluminescence characterization of polycrystalline n-type Cu2O films Journal of Luminescence 121, 173 (2006).
- Rohana Garuthara, Ruwan Wijesundara, Withana Siripala
Characterization of CuInS2 thin films prepared by electrodeposition and sulfurization with photoluminescence spectroscopy; Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 79, 331-338, (2003).
- R. Garuthara and G. Levine Photoluminescence of chemically deposited CdSe nanocrystallites: Effects of crystallite polydispersity; J Appl. Phys. 80, 401 (1996).
- R.Garuthara, X.Z.Lu, S.Lee et al., Shock-Wave Effects on the Electron-Hole Plasma in CdSe, J.Appl. Phys. 64, 3737 (1988).
- Non-linear dynamics
- Excitable media - chemical reactions and the heart
- H.M. Hastings, S.G. Sobel, F.H. Fenton, S. Chaterpaul, C. Frank, J. Pekor and E. Russell, The onset of target waves in the ferroin-catalyzed Belousov-Zhabotinski reaction, Proceedings of the 7th Experimental Chaos Conference, ed. V. In, American Institute of Physics, 2003, pp. 275-280. (The last four authors - Stephen Chaterpaul, Claudia Frank, Jordan Pekor and Elizabeth Russell served as undergraduate research assistants on this paper.)
- H.M. Hastings, R.J. Field and S.G. Sobel, Microscopic fluctuations and pattern formation in a supercritical oscillatory chemical system, J. Chem. Phys. 119, 3291-3296 (2003).
- F.H. Fenton, E.M. Cherry, S.J. Evans and H.M. Hastings J, Multiple mechanisms of spiral wave breakup in a model of cardiac electrical activity, Chaos 12, 852-892 (2002).
Gregory C. Levine
- Condensed Matter Theory
- Strongly Correlated Fermions
- Quantum Computing and Decoherence
- "Entanglement Entropy in a Boundary Impurity Model," G. C. Levine, Physical Review Letters 93, 266402 (2004).
- "Entanglement of a Qubit with a Single Oscillator Mode," Gregory Levine and V. N. Muthukumar, Physical Review B69, 113203 (2004).
- "Spinons in a Crossed-Chains Model of a 2D Spin Liquid," Oleg A. Starykh, Rajiv R. P. Singh and Gregory Levine, Physical Review Letters 88, 167203 (2002).
- "Localization Transition in the Mermin Model," Gregory Levine and V. N. Muthukumar, Physical Review B63, 2451 (2001).
- Condensed Matter Theory
- Unconventional Superconductivity
- Strongly Correlated Electron Systems
- K. V. Samokhin and M.S. Mar'enko, Nonuniform mixed-parity superfluid state in dipolar Fermi gases, preprint cond-mat/0607569.
- K. V. Samokhin and M.S. Mar'enko, Quantum fluctuations in Larkin-Ovchinnikov-Fulde-Ferrell superconductors, Physical Review B73, 144502 (2006).
- M.S. Mar'enko, C. Bourbonnais, and A.-M.S. Tremblay, Effect of superconducting fluctuations on ultrasound in unconventional superconductor, Physical Review B72, 024508 (2005).
- M.S. Mar'enko, C. Bourbonnais, and A.-M.S. Tremblay, Superconducting fluctuation corrections to ultrasound attenuation in layered superconductors, Physical Review B69, 224503 (2004).