Audition and Application
1. Request an Audition Packet:
2. Apply to Hofstra University:
3. Schedule an Audition:
- Singers should prepare, from memory, two contrasting songs from the classical repertoire. At least one of the songs must be in one of the following languages: Italian, French, German or Spanish. A music theater song may be included as a third selection; singers interested in the Jazz & Commercial Music Degree may substitute a jazz standard for the third selection. The auditionee's sight reading ability will also be tested. Please bring a copy of your music, in the correct key and in a book or folder, for the accompanist. An accompanist will be provided by the music department for all voice auditions; there is no need to send copies of your music in advance.
- Percussionists should go here for specific audition requirements.
- Pianists should go here for specific audition requirements.
- Jazz Students(Except SINGERS and PERCUSSIONISTS; please see respective instructions above) should be prepared to play the following:
- All jazz scales and modes
- A Blues for improvisation
- Two jazz standards of their choice
- A prepared etude or solo transcription
- All Other Instrumentalists should prepare diatonic and chromatic scales, as well as two solos in contrasting styles displaying their 1) technical proficiency and 2) lyrical/ interpretive ability. Unless you are a percussionist or a pianist, you are expected to bring your own instruments to the audition.
In addition to the individual audition(s), all students will also take an entrance examination in ear training, rudiments, and elementary theory on the morning of their audition. The placement exam is used to allow us to place students in courses appropriate to their level of preparedness; it is not used as a factor in acceptance to the Department of Music.
Please make sure all correspondence regarding the auditions process is with the Department of Music, rather than with Hofstra Admissions. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or at 516-463-5490.
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Saturday, Feburary 9, 2013
Early April, 2013
May 1, 2013