Purpose, Mission, and Vision
The Teacher and Leader Quality Partnerships (TLQP) program at Hofstra University aims to improve the academic success of students in Hempstead and New York City public schools by improving the quality of teaching at the Pre-K through grade 5 levels. TLQP facilitates continuous improvement of in-service teachers and administrators, through established learning communities including Hofstra University faculty, in-service teachers, subject-matter coaches, specialists and administrators.
To create learning communities focused on promoting quality teaching by drawing on the experience and real-life skills of partner schools.
To use data and assessment as it applies to student achievement and improvement in both teacher preparation and classroom instruction.
To provide professional development that inspires changes in teaching and learning to improve student outcomes. The following areas of change are highlighted in professional development:
- Learning objectives focused on key competencies
- Learning that is tailored to the needs of the individual
- Active learning that is authentic and connected to real life
- Learning where technologies will be integrated
- Advocate for lifelong learning
- Education where innovation is encouraged