The M.S.Ed. In Rehabilitation Counseling is fully accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Accreditation (CORE). University-wide information on enrollment, graduates and student achievement can be found at
Please contact Dr. Jamie Mitus (Email) for detailed information on program-specific enrollments and graduates. Other program outcome information may be found here.
Program Performance Information
Student Retention Rate
Since 2010, we have recruited approximately 75 students into the program with 52% who have graduated and 37% who are currently active in the program. Approximately, 6% of students have left the program and 4% of students are on academic leave for various reasons (e.g. medical, financial, Hurricane Sandy, etc.). The program’s high retention rate is in part a product of the efforts put forth by faculty to work individually with students to ensure they are academically supported to keep up with the rigor of the program. Reasons, however, for students leaving the program were primarily due to personal family matters followed by financial challenges.
Time to Complete the Program
Students in the traditional Rehabilitation Counseling program typically take 2 to 2 ½ years to finish their academic studies. For students in the combined program, Rehabilitation Counseling in Mental Health, 2 ½ to 3 years is usually required to finish. Factors that influence how quickly students move through the program include whether they are attending on a part-time versus full-time basis and if summer course work is incorporated into their plan of study.
Estimate Cost of Attendance
Presently tuition costs for a graduate student in the Rehabilitation Counseling Program is $1100 (2013-2014 academic year) per credit. For students in the traditional program of 51 credits, the overall cost of tuition is approximately $56,100. For students in the combined program, the overall cost of tuition is about $66,000.
Financial Support for Students
Currently, the Rehabilitation Counseling Program has two federal long-term training grants through the Rehabilitation Service Administration. Funds from these grants are used to cover some of the tuition costs incurred by students in the program. Those who are interested are required to submit an application each semester for consideration of funding. Although we are unable to support every student in the program, an effort is made to distribute the funds across as many students as possible.
Students may also be eligible to receive financial assistance via the Rehabilitation Counseling Provost Fund. Every year, the Provost’s Office allocates a dollar amount to the Rehabilitation Counseling Program. These funds are then distributed to students in the fall, spring, and summer. Students are required to apply if they are interested in being considered for funding.
In addition, every spring the Provost’s Office collects applications for the Provost’s Scholarship in the amount of $3500 with one award granted to a student in each graduate program. Students who have a G.P.A. of 3.5 or higher and are matriculated in the program are eligible to apply. The award is then given to the student for the fall semester.
The University also posts other scholarships that are available to students through the Graduate Admissions Office. Please visit the following URL for more details: http://www.hofstra.edu/academics/grad/grad_fa_scholarships.html
In addition, the University has a number of graduate assistantships that students may apply for as well as other University positions that offer tuition remission. Please visit the URL for Human Resources at http://www.hofstra.edu/about/hr for more details.
Lastly, students may contact the Financial Aid Office at (516) 463-8000 to discuss student loans and other financial options to cover tuition costs.
Employment Rate of Students Upon Graduation
Placement rates in the Rehabilitation Counseling program are considered to be exceptional for students. Approximately 75% of students are already employed by the time they graduate from the program. Another 10% are hired within the first three months of graduation and an additional 10% within the first six months. As a result, 95% of the students in the program are actively employed within the first six months of graduating. Based on our most recent alumni survey (2013), the remaining 5% reporting unemployment indicated various reasons (e.g. not yet seeking employment to address family/personal needs, getting married, pursuing another degree, still actively seeking, etc.).
Employment Settings Where Graduates Work
Students in our program work in a variety of settings in the field. Based on our most recent alumni survey in 2013, approximately 17% of graduates are working for State Vocational Rehabilitation, 8% for the Veterans Affairs, and 75% for community-based organizations (CBO). Some of the CBOs our alumni work in are: comprehensive rehabilitation centers, mental health clinics, rehabilitation hospitals, and drug and alcohol agencies.
Eligibility of students in the program for the NYS MHC License
Based on our 2013 alumni survey, 50% of the respondents graduated from the combined program in Rehabilitation Counseling in Mental Health. These individuals are therefore academically eligible for New York State Mental Health Counseling (NYS MHC) licensing. Of this group, 33% are currently licensed. The remaining 67% all reported working towards their clinical hours to take the exam. It should be noted that approximately 70% of our current students are in the combined program of Rehabilitation Counseling in Mental Health. This percentage has steadily been rising since the combined program was implemented in 2007. Therefore, we expect the number of graduates becoming licensed to increase within the next five years.
Passing of the Comprehensive Measures
(CRC Exam & Comprehensive Portfolio)
During the final semester in the program, students are required to complete a comprehensive portfolio and an oral defense. Each student is given his/her own case study along with selected CORE standards. They are required to develop a portfolio with respect to the case study that specifically addresses the standards. Following submission of the portfolio, students are scheduled for an oral defense where they are challenged by faculty with questions about the case in an effort to demonstrate their competency. 100% of our students completing the portfolio are successful in passing both the written and oral components. About 40% of students pass on the first written attempt while 60% of students are required to rewrite portions of their portfolio. 100% of the students pass the oral defense on the first attempt.
In terms of national certification, 89% of our graduates reported passing the CRC (Certified Rehabilitation Counselor) exam on the 2013 alumni survey. Of the 11% who had not passed, 67% of those alumni had yet to take the exam. The passing percentage rate reported in the alumni survey compares favorably to who CRCC reports online as holding their national certification.