Audition and Application
1. Request an Audition Packet:
2. Apply to Hofstra University:
3. Schedule an Audition:
- Singers should prepare, from memory, two contrasting songs from the classical repertoire. At least one of the songs must be in one of the following languages: Italian, French, German or Spanish. A music theater song may be included as a third selection; singers interested in the Jazz & Commercial Music Degree may substitute a jazz standard for the third selection. The auditionee's sight reading ability will also be tested. Please bring a copy of your music, in the correct key and in a book or folder, for the accompanist. An accompanist will be provided by the music department for all voice auditions; there is no need to send copies of your music in advance. (PLEASE NOTE: Students interested in the Minor in Musical Theater need to audition through the Drama department, not the Department of Music. Please visit the Drama Department for more information).
- Percussionists should go here for specific audition requirements.
- Pianists should go here for specific audition requirements.
- Jazz Students(Except SINGERS and PERCUSSIONISTS; please see respective instructions above) should be prepared to play the following:
- All jazz scales and modes
- A Blues for improvisation
- Two jazz standards of their choice
- A prepared etude or solo transcription
- All Other Instrumentalists should prepare diatonic and chromatic scales, as well as two solos in contrasting styles displaying their 1) technical proficiency and 2) lyrical/ interpretive ability. Unless you are a percussionist or a pianist, you are expected to bring your own instruments to the audition.
Please make sure all correspondence regarding the auditions process is with the Department of Music, rather than with Hofstra Admissions. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or at 516-463-5490.
Saturday, December 14, 2013,
Saturday, January 25, 2014
Saturday, March 1, 2014
Early April, 2014
May 1, 2014