Explore Employment Options
Art therapists work in many different environments, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Hospitals and clinics (medical and psychiatric)
- Outpatient mental health agencies and day treatment facilities
- Residential treatment centers
- Domestic violence and homeless shelters
- Community agencies and nonprofit settings
- Correctional facilities
- Elder care facilities
- Art studios
- Private practice
- An art therapist may work as part of a team that includes physicians, psychologists, nurses, mental health counselors, marriage and family therapists, rehabilitation counselors, social workers, and/or teachers. Together, they determine each client’s therapeutic goals and objectives and implement a treatment plan.
- Other art therapists work independently and maintain private practices with children, adolescents, adults, groups, and/or families.
Information from http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/40/ecat01-art-ther.pdf