The following directions are for Hofstra candidates completing, or who have completed, one of Hofstra Universities New York State registered program that lead to New York State certification. In addition to applying on TEACH, candidates must submit an Institutional Recommendation Request form to the Office of Educational Support Services at Hofstra University. If you are not certain you are eligible for an institutional recommendation for certification, or you have any questions regarding certification, please contact Hofstra Universities Director of Certification & Licensure at 516-463-4216.
Applying for New York State Certification on TEACH
- Create your TEACH online account by going to www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/ >TEACH online system>self-registration and follow directions. NOTE: If you already have an account created for a previous certification or if you paid for fingerprinting online, do NOT create a second account. If you have problems with TEACH please call 518-486-6041
- Once logged on TEACH, click TEACH online services to bring you to your homepage
- Go to “Apply for a Certificate”
- Read directions and hit “next” on the bottom of the page
- You will need to update your Educational Information.
- Hofstra University-Main
- Degree ( i.e. Advanced Certificate, BS, BA, BSED, MS, MA, MSED)
- Program (i.e. Fine Arts Education, Early Childhood Education, Inclusive Elementary Special Education )
- fill in your graduation date, start date, completion date (exact dates are not necessary) and the number of credits. List each degree you are receiving, Submit
- If you are applying for Professional/Permanent certification, you will need to add your work experience to show 3 years of teaching (2 years for perm). For Professional, make sure your mentoring form has been sent to the State Education Department from your School District.
- Once your personal info, educational and work info are all updated, click next
- Enter in your Area of Interest*, subject, grade level, and title
- Once you enter your certificate title, you will be asked to enter in your program code. (Find your program code [PDF] or view your program code chart: undergraduate | graduate) Enter submit, and then verify and select the program and certification listed.
- You will then be lead back to the previous page if you want to add another certification title. If not, click ‘next” on the bottom of the page.
- You will then be asked if you want the State to evaluate you, click the radial button to proceed.
- You will need to answer the Child Support and Moral Character questions then click to sign the application
- Verify your certificate title, ($50 each) and then click to sign application
- Print out your transaction summary
- Pay online with VISA or MasterCard and print out your receipt
*General Science, Severe Disabilities and 5-6 ext/annotations are listed under “Classroom Teacher extensions” Bilingual and Gifted are listed under “other extensions” School Psychologist, School Counselor, SBL/SDL/SDBL are listed under “Administration and PP Services.” All other certification titles are under “Classroom Teacher” or “Classroom Teacher-Foreign Languages”