Biology Education – Advanced Certificate Program
Advanced Certificate in Secondary Biology (Science) Education
This 25-semester hour program is for students who have an undergraduate degree in one of the sciences (or the equivalent), as well as a master's degree in this content area. The advanced certificate program in secondary education is a 25 semester hour non-degree granting program leading to initial New York state certification necessary for secondary school and vocational secondary school teachers. Students are required to have a major or equivalent (a minimum of 36 semester hours.) in appropriate content area (or related area) during either their undergraduate or graduate study. You can be certified in only one year.
General Program Requirements:
- Introductory Courses - Semester Hours: 7
- General Methods Courses - Semester Hours: 6
- Special Methods Courses - Semester Hours: 3
- Student Teaching and Required Seminars - Semester Hours: 9
General Education Prerequisites:
- Three semester hours introductory Psychology of equivalent or established competency in the field.
- Meet the requirements of the general education for initial certification.
Content Area Requirements in the Area of Specialization:
Science Education: 30 semester hours in the content area for which certification is sought:
- Biology: Including course work in general Biology, genetics, comparative anatomy, general ecology, invertebrate zoology, and plant physiology or equivalents or established competency in the field and additional course work in chemistry, physics, geology (earth science) and calculus-based mathematics or equivalents or established competency in the field.
NOTE: Students can establish some competency by documenting competency via portfolio.
For a detailed plan of study, requirements, and other important information, please view or download this Adobe PDF file. (please attach PDF file in this folder)
For an up-to-date detailed plan of study, requirements, and other important information, please visit the Hofstra Bulletin.