How to become a CSTEP Scholar
Students interested in enrolling in the Hofstra University Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program have an option to be a CSTEP member or CSTEP scholar. See guidelines on eligibility. Both scholar and member must meet the following New York State Education Department (NYSED) criteria:
- NY State Resident
- Enrolled in a science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) program or pre-licensure field; i.e. accounting, physical therapy, law, etc.
- Underrepresented student from one of the following groups: African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American or Indian or Alaskan Native OR from other groups who meet the economically disadvantaged criteria as outlined by the NY State Education Department.
CSTEP Scholar Criteria
- Participate in 4 workshops per semester; 2 must be CSTEP sponsored events
- Meet with program personnel 3 times per semester for advising and counseling that may include discussions about academics, finances, career guidance or personal concerns.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Participate in a science, technology, engineering or math related research project, unpaid internship or volunteer opportunity (meet with staff to be sure your work qualifies)
*Note: requirements may vary each semester
CSTEP Scholar Benefits
- Eligible for small scholarship
- First priority for opportunities such as:
- Mentoring Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) students
- CSTEP Summer internship position and scholarship
- Opportunities to attend conferences and workshops to display undergraduate work as well as meet industry professionals
- First selection for books in the Textbook Loaner Program
- Plus the opportunity to participate in all CSTEP program and activities.
*Note: Students must meet CSTEP Scholar requirements each semester to remain a scholar
How to Apply
For an application please visit 013 Hagedorn Hall or call (516) 463-5796.