Parent Orientation: Summer 2013
Parent Orientation is a day-long program on the first day, Tuesday, of the three-day New Student Orientation. Parents and guardians of incoming first-year students learn about transition from high school to college, academics and campus life by attending information sessions and a lunch with administrators and faculty. The topics discussed include health and wellness, campus safety, academic curriculum and advisement, financial aid and billing, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), life in residence halls, and commuting student programs and services. You will also have a chance to attend a campus tour. The day begins at 9 a.m. and finishes at 5 p.m.
You may choose one of eight parent orientation days: June 11, 18, 25; July 9, 16, 23, 30; or August 6, 2013. Your student will register you online at the same time she or he registers for New Student Orientation. Your student should visit Summer Orientation page for details about the New Student Orientation. PARENT ORIENTATION SCHEDULE describes sessions and venues.
In the New Student Orientation brochure in the Welcome Folder, your student may consult an extensive checklist on what to do before New Student Orientation. Please remind your student to:
• Obtain his/her online ID and password (Student Computing Services, (516) 463-7777, can help if your student does not know how to obtain Hofstra ID). Your student will need this log-in information in order to register for orientation.
• Check his/her Hofstra e-mail frequently, since all Hofstra offices and faculty communicate with students via Hofstra e-mail, including the Office of Student Leadership and Activities regarding summer orientation.
• Register online for the New Student Orientation and, at the same time, register you for Parent Orientation. Instructions on how to register are in the student's New Student Orientation brochure in the Welcome Folder.
• Refrain from making travel plans until your student receives a confirmation e-mail from the Office of Student Leadership and Activities. In addition, when making plans for the return trip home, bear in mind that your student should plan to be on campus until 5 p.m. on Thursday.
• Complete the placement exams online prior to coming to New Student Orientation. This is a very important task, and please urge your student to do it as soon as possible.
• Mail high school transcripts to the Admission Office and medical immunization forms to the Health and Wellness Center. Immunization forms may also be handed to our Health and Wellness staff during Parent Orientation.
• Prepare for overnight stay. All students, even those who plan to commute in the fall, must stay on campus for three days of the New Student Orientation. This is a unique opportunity to learn everything about Hofstra's campus, academic and cocurricular support, as well as make friends! Bring linens (pillowcase, sheets and towels). A pillow and blanket will be provided. Office of Student Leadership and Activities has a useful checklist on what to bring.
• Make sure to read the The Good Food Revolution: Growing Healthy Food, People, and Communities by Will Allen. Hofstra is mailing the book to students once they submit their deposit.
Please note that you will need to say goodbye to your student when you drop him or her off at the Netherlands Residence Complex at 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday. You will head to Parent Orientation and your student will start the New Student Orientation program that lasts through 5 p.m. Thursday. You will not reconnect later, so please be sure to give him/her all the belongings in the morning.
While Parent Orientation lasts one day, the student NSO runs for three days. If you are picking up your student on the last day, please do so about two hours after the last scheduled event/appointment she or he needs to attend. Please be aware that appointments run to 5 p.m. and not all students finish at the same time. Students will be told their individual appointment times during New Student Orientation program on Wednesday afternoon.
Directions and maps will help you with your car trip to and around the campus. Accommodations page lists nearby hotels with the negotiated Hofstra rates. Airport/Train directions explain how to get from/to JFK and LaGuardia airports as well as to the Penn Station to/from Hofstra campus. Our enthusiastic Parent Orientation Leaders, current Hofstra students, will be at the Netherlands Complex when you drop off your student and will guide you to the Parent Orientation.
Informed and involved families are a great asset to our community. You are a part of Hofstra Pride and we welcome your input at any time. Please e-mail us or call at (516) 463-4698. Also, connect to fellow Hofstra parents by clicking on "like"at the Hofstra Parents Facebook page and follow us @HofstraParents on Twitter.