The Hofstra University Health and Wellness Center focuses on providing holistic oriented health care. This would include initial diagnosis and treatment of injuries and/or illnesses, and appropriate follow-up for most short-term illnesses. Our providers are experienced in treating common medical problems seen on college campuses and are advocates of a wellness approach to health care, which empowers patients to become partners in managing their health needs, through education and knowledge.
On-site specialty care includes immunization services, an allergy clinic, and women’s health services.
In addition to Nurse Practitioners and other health care providers, the physician is available on an appointment basis.
Preventative immunizations services are available including measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR), Hepatitis B, Meningococcal vaccine, tetanus and tuberculosis screening on a reasonable priced fee for service basis. To attend a college in New York, every student born after January 1, 1957, who is taking 6 or more credit hours, must show proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (German Measles).
Acceptable forms of proof:
- An official school, state, country or national immunization record verifying 2 MMRs.
- A blood test showing immunity to those diseases, with a titer clearly stated.
- A written history, health care provider signed with documentation of 2 MMRs.
- A written history, health care provider signed documenting having had the disease.
In the event that you are not immune, or have not been immunized according the New York State requirements, you must be vaccinated so that you can attend classes and receive your grades. New York State also requires that you receive information concerning meningococcal meningitis disease and the available vaccine. The University is required to document that you have received this information and have either had the vaccine or decline the vaccine.
Gynecological care is available by appointment. Services include assessment and treatment of infectious illnesses, and annual examinations. These services are available to eligible students at a nominal cost;, other fees include laboratory testing, prescription contraceptives and pregnancy testing.
Most laboratory testing is referred out. The cost of such testing is the responsibility of the student.
Please be aware of our practice regarding lab results:
- If you have a follow up appointment with your provider the labs will be reviewed at the scheduled appointment
- If there is a result that cannot wait until the next visit, we will notify you
- Please be aware that due to HIPPA federal regulations some lab results cannot be discussed over the phone
- If you would like the results from the Health and Wellness Center, you can pick the labs up at our office or we will fax them to your provider. Results cannot be mailed.
- You may call for results within 48-72 hours of your labs being obtained, between 9AM – 10AM at (516) 463-6745.
Pharmaceutical services are available and include over the counter medications as well as an appropriate range of prescription drugs.
The Hofstra University Health and Wellness Center staff can and will make appropriate referrals to a specialist (e.g. orthopedist, dermatologist, neurologist, etc.) using an extensive well-established network of community providers, including local hospitals.
ALLERGY SERUM ADMINISTRATION:
Students may have their serum administered by the Health and Wellness Center staff.