Community Standards for Organizations
Student groups and organizations may be charged with violating the "Code of Community Standards." A student group or organization and its officers may be held collectively and/or individually responsible when violations occur. Organizations should refer to the "Code of Community Standards for Organizations" for more information. Sanctions for group or organization misconduct may include revocation or denial of registration or recognition, in addition to all appropriate sanctions provided herein. Student groups and organizations have the same rights and may appeal sanctions as described in this code for individuals. For more information, please refer to specific policies and constitutions governing student organizations and fraternity and sorority affairs.
Guidelines Concerning Unrecognized Organizations
- Recognition of Student Groups and Organizations
- Students interested in creating a club or organization may petition the Student Government Association.
- Students interested in forming a chapter of a fraternity or sorority may petition the Greek Advisory Board.
- Students interested in affiliating with an academic department (i.e., Golden Key) may petition that particular department.
- Authorization to function as a student group will be determined by the Dean of Students Office.
- Unrecognized Groups
Actions that will result in being charged as an unrecognized group include, but are not limited to:
- Wearing or displaying the insignia, name or crest of the unrecognized organization; or
- Affiliating the group with Hofstra University or using Hofstra's name or marks without Hofstra's written permission either in literature, on the Internet, or to an outside source (i.e., restaurant, catering establishment, etc.); or
- Pledging, initiating, receiving or recruiting new members into the unrecognized group; or
- Utilizing University services in the name of an individual or group for use by the unrecognized group.
All groups that fail to gain recognition will be unable to gain access to any University facilities and services in the name of the group. This extends to participation in intramural and recreational programs under the name of the unrecognized group or under a pseudonym where 50 percent of the individuals are members of an unrecognized group. In this case, the Director of Recreation and Intramurals shall disband the team and disqualify it from further competition.
Please contact the Office of Community Standards directly to receive a copy of the full "Code of Community Standards for Hofstra University Organizations".