Energy and Conservation
Hofstra University is committed to promoting energy efficiency, implementing energy conservation and reducing energy consumption.
The following addresses this goal:
- Install new thermo-pane windows. Recent installations included Weed, Calkins and Hauser Hall.
- Increase attic insulation. Recent projects include the Fitness Center.
- Implement technologies available for energy conservation. Occupancy sensors to control the "thru the wall" HVAC units were installed in Nassau and Suffolk Halls. These sensors have also been installed in Colonial Square and Liberty\Republic Halls.
- Promote the purchase of green energy.
- Implement demand response program when requested by the local utility or the NYISO. In the past, this effort has been able to redirect over 400 kilowatts of electricity to other customers, relieving some of the electric demand on the LIPA power grid during critical times. Specifically, when we receive a request from LIPA to curtail energy use during peak demand days, we check our event schedules and building occupancy to turn off energy using equipment and lights that may not be necessary.