Construction and Projects
Hofstra Facilities and Operations is dedicated to ongoing maintenance and support of the Hofstra campus for living and learning.
Spring 2018 Facilities and Operations Projects and Planning
Hofstra University is engaged in major construction, renovation and planning projects campus-wide. See a complete listing below.
Recently Completed Projects
- Physical Education Building Second Floor
The second-floor renovations provided new space for the School of Health Professions and Human Services including four new classroom spaces, computer lab and faculty offices, and new floor, ceiling, lighting and audio-visual and information technology.
- John Cranford Adams Playhouse
The complete renovation of the interior theater, upgrade of the building infrastructure and expansion of the entrance lobby was completed in Fall 2017. The theater will soon be named for benefactors Toni and Martin Sosnoff.
- Dunkin Donuts- The conversion of the Café on the Quad dining facility to a fully licensed Dunkin Donuts franchise was opened in March in Roosevelt Quad.
- Frank G. Zarb School of Business Extension
The construction of the new 52,000 square foot building adjacent to CV Starr Hall will house our Frank G. Zarb School of Business administration, faculty and Career Center offices, as well as student collaborative space, small group study areas and the new Center for Entrepreneurship. Ground was broken in May 2017 and the new building is being constructed on the East Campus between CV Starr Hall, Monroe Lecture Hall and Gittleson Hall. A new parking lot east of the building was added in Summer 2017. The building's exterior will feature a landscaped walkway leading to California Avenue, and a large entrance plaza shared with CV Starr Hall that provides an open pedestrian sitting area. Click here to view the progress on the Zarb School extension on the Hofstra Earthcam.
- Environment Assessment Review for proposed new building, School of Engineering
The University initiated a full environmental review with traffic study for the proposed new School of Engineering building to be located on the east campus.
- Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library HVAC Systems
A two-year project is underway to replace HVAC piping throughout the Axinn Library.
Planned Projects Beginning Summer 2018
- CV Starr Hall Renovations and introduction of Einstein's Bagels.
- HofUSA Renovations and introduction of 'all day diner' restaurant concept.
- Colonial Square East Townhouse Renovations- Plymouth, Jamestown and Newport House public areas, bathrooms, floors and lighting will be updated.
- Berliner Hall Chemistry classrooms and the new Organic Chemistry lab and other classroom lab spaces have begun and will continue through the summer of 2018.
- Townhouse Residence Halls in Colonial Square
Beginning in May 2018, three buildings in the Colonial Square East complex- Jamestown House, Newport House and Plymouth House will have upgrades to common lounges and kitchens, bathrooms, HVAC unit replacements, furnishings and LED lighting throughout the buildings. Renovations were completed in all 11 buildings in the Netherlands complex, and 9 buildings in the Colonial Square complex. The work is part of the $25 million major capital improvement project to fully renovate the Netherlands and Colonial Square residential townhouses.
- Constitution and Enterprise Residence Halls Refresh
The complete renovation of all 24 bathrooms in the Constitution and Enterprise Residence Halls will be completed this summer. The project will provide flooring & wall tile, bathroom fixtures including electric hand dryers, lighting, and fresh paint.
- Gallon Wing- Physician Assistant Program expansion and space improvement.
- CV Starr Hall- Interior classroom, restrooms and lounge renovations.
- Campus wide- Fire system improvements and hydrant replacements.
- Maurice A. Deane School of Law- Roof replacement.
- Student Center- Creation of a Student Center east plaza and landscaping improvements.
- Bits and Bytes Renovations and introduction of Moe's Southwest Grill.
Sustainable Building and Energy Management
Facilities and Operations demonstrates and supports Hofstra's longstanding commitment to sustainable practices. Some recent projects include:
- Hofstra is an EPA Green Power Partner and purchases 30% green power annually.
- Over 90 bottle filling stations are located across the campus. The first station was installed in 2009.
- Expanded collection of recyclables throughout the campus.
- LED lighting upgrades.
- Three electric vehicle charging stations installed on campus.
- REV Campus Challenge Achiever member. The REV Campus Challenge promotes clean energy efforts by recognizing New York State Colleges and Universities that implement clean energy projects and principles on campus, in the classroom and in surrounding communities.
- The USGBC (US Green Building Council) LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver Certification was awarded for the extension of the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell extension in May 2016. The Frank G. Zarb School of Business extension project, connecting to the CV Starr building with a second-floor bridge, is designed and built to LEED Silver Certification standard, with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).