Hofstra University offers a variety of benefit programs for their employees and their families. Explore the information below to learn more.
Announcement: Please be advised the Medical Buy Out payment for employees who receive health care benefits outside of Hofstra will be discontinued for Administrative employees effective, December 31, 2017. Administrative employees will receive more information in the upcoming Open Enrollment sessions.
Summary of Benefits as determined by applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements
Health and Welfare Plan×
View health plan options:
What's Going On?
Vision, Dental and Pharmacy
Learn more about the benefits you receive as an employee and industry updates.
If you enroll in the Hofstra EPO or POS plan, in addition to medical coverage, you and your family (if applicable) will also receive vision benefits, administered by EyeMed and pharmacy benefits with Express-Scripts
Also, when enrolled in the Hofstra EPO plan, you and your family (if applicable) will also receive dental benefits, administered by Delta Dental.
However, if you choose the Hofstra POS, Oxford or HIP options, you may enroll in the Delta Dental plan for an additional contribution. This coverage is only available for the employee -- it does not cover dependents.
- The Express-Scripts Mobile App
You’re just a click away from staying on track with your medication with the Express-Scripts mobile app. You can view orders, check drug interactions or even find the closest retail pharmacy in seconds so you can keep track, keep on schedule and keep feeling good. Click here to learn more. Or, go to your mobile device’s app store, search for “Express-Scripts” and download the free app today.
- NEW! Online Contact Lens Ordering.
- Eyemed Vision Care Introduces Online Appointment Scheduling
A new tool launched on www.eyemedvisioncare.com just made it even easier for you and your covered dependents to use EyeMed vision benefits. EyeMedVisionCare.com now offers the added convenience of enabling members to schedule their appointments online, through their computers or mobile devices. Members now have 24/7 access to real-time appointment scheduling at any of EyeMed's participating retailers and independent providers. The new tool is accessed through the provider locator. Just choose a provider and click the new "Schedule an Eye Exam Online" link. It's that simple.
- Word of Mouth Delta Dental
Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Commuter Benefit
Learn how you can put pre-tax money aside to pay for medical expenses, dependent care expenses and commuting to work via public transportation or using municipal parking.
- View a list of typical healthcare expenses covered by FSA
- View a list of Dependent Care Eligible Expenses
- Flexible Spending Account Overview
Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability (LTD)
Group Life & Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Hofstra University provides Group Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance benefits for all benefit-eligible full-time administrators at no cost to the employee. The administrator must elect to join the plan at the time of employment.
Eligible Administrators will currently receive $200,000 in Group Life coverage and $300,000 in Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage. These amounts are subject to change from time to time.
The insurance is subject to the terms of the insurance carrier selected by the University.
Voluntary Optional Life Insurance
All full-time administrators may participate in the University’s Voluntary Optional Life Insurance Plan at their own cost. Administrators may choose this option at the time of employment or during the annual enrollment period. The insurance is subject to the term’s of the insurance carrier selected by the University. Administrators may select one to five times the amount of his/her salary, with a maximum coverage of $450,000. A statement of health will be required if the administrator selects two or more times his/her salary base or subsequently elects to increase the coverage by more than one time the amount of his/her salary.
These policies do not form a contract of any kind and can be modified at the discretion of Hofstra University or in accordance with the law without notice.
Read about the life insurance and accidental death insurance in the Required Notice Section and view information on the LTD policy.
Do you want to change your beneficiary designation for your Hofstra-provided life insurance?
- Download the ING Insurance Beneficiary Designation Form.
Did you know?
You may convert your Hofstra Life Insurance to an individual life insurance policy if any part of your Life Insurance under the Group Policy stops. Evidence of insurability is not required.
Portability means you may continue up to $450,000 of your Supplemental Life Insurance under the Group Policy instead of converting it, if you are under 70 and were not totally and permanently disabled.
Read more about the Life Insurance Policy under the Required Notices Section.
Gain knowledge about the Pension plan offered to University employees.
The Hofstra University Pension Plan is a tax deferred annuity arrangement (IRS Code Section 403(b) annuity). The plan is voluntary with a one-time irrevocable election to participate which begins after you reach age 26 and you meet the eligibility requirements.
What's Going On?
- Summary of Material Modifications to the Hofstra University Pension Plan
- Hofstra University Pension Plan New Investment Menu
- Learn about investment fees and fund performance at the TIAA-CREF/Hofstra microsite.
- View important information about changes to Pension Plan Investment Options
- An Important Reminder to Periodically Review Your Investments
|IRS PENSION CONTRIBUTION LIMITS FOR 2018|
Section 415 for the combined total from all pension plans
Section 402(g) for elective deferrals
Section 414(v) for catch-up contributions for participants age 50 and over
In order to make informed decisions regarding:
- Fees and expenses related to a Plan account
- Participant rights under the Plan
- Rules related to providing investment direction
- Details about the Plan's investment options, including investment-related fees and restrictions
View Participant Fee Disclosure Notice for the Hofstra University 403(b) Pension Plan Enter Plan ID 101952×
Administrative Vacation/Leave Policies
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Jury Duty
- Witness Duty
- Paid Holidays – 2017-2018 Holiday Schedule
- Family and Medical Leave Policy
Family and Medical Leave Policy×
- Newborns’ and Mothers’ Health Protection Act
- The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act (WHCRA)
- Special Enrollment Notice
- Pension Plan Salary Deferral
- Loss of Medicaid or CHIP Eligibility
- Medicare Part D Creditable Coverage Notice
Summary Plan Descriptions
Hofstra Exclusive Provider Option (EPO)
- EPO Summary Plan Description
- Hofstra EPO Option SBC
- Post 65 Retiree Medicare Supplemental Health Plan
Hofstra Point-of –Service (POS)
- Delta Dental Summary Plan Description
- Delta Dental Optional (Employee Only) Summary Plan Description
- Delta Dental Optional (Employee Only) Local 153, Local 282 and Local 553
Life Insurance (both University paid and optional contributory)
- Life/AD&D Summary Plan Description
- Life/AD&D Summary Plan Description – Local 153, Local 282, Local 553 and Local 1102
Long Term Disability×
Affordable Care Act
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) Updates
Summary of Benefits and Coverage Form (SBC)
In compliance with the Affordable Care Act Hofstra University has developed a Summary of Benefit Coverage (SBC) and Uniform Glossary that will make it much easier for you to understand and compare the benefits offered by different plans.
- Hofstra EPO Option SBC
- Hofstra POS Option SBC
- Emblem Health HMO (HIP) SBC
- Emblem Health POS (HIP) SBC
- SBC Uniform Glossary
Women’s Preventive Care
The Affordable Care Act helps make prevention affordable and accessible for all Americans by requiring new health plans to cover and eliminate cost sharing for preventive services recommended by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, and the Bright Futures Guidelines recommended by the Academy of Pediatrics. The pdf below advises on eight new additional women’s preventive services that will be covered without cost-sharing requirements include.
Health Insurance Marketplace Options
The following pdf is the required notice under Affordable Care Act, commonly referred to as Health Reform.
As an employee of Hofstra University, there are some key points we would like you to keep in mind:
- The Exchange is designed primarily for those without health insurance or those who have employer insurance that does not meet certain standards
- The health coverage offered by Hofstra University surpasses the “minimum value standards” of the Affordable Care Act, which means that you would not be eligible for a premium tax credit through the Exchange
- With coverage offered by Hofstra University, you pay a portion of your health care premium through pre-tax payroll deductions while Hofstra pays, on average, 75% of your premium
- If you enroll in a health plan through the Exchange
- The premiums you pay are on an after-tax basis, so you lose the tax advantage
- More importantly, you lose the premium contributions that Hofstra pays for your health coverage
|Provider||Home Page||Customer Service Phone #|
|Empire BlueCross BlueShield||www.empireblue.com||1-800-435-1385|
|HIP/Vytra (Emblem Health)||www.EmblemHealth.com||1-800-447-8255|
|Ira Kolko, Senior Associate Director of Human Resources|
|Jeanna-Michelle Shelley, Senior Benefits Specialist|
|Shanelle Murrell, Benefits Specialist|