If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
Residential Safety
In case of an emergency, call 516-463-6789

Resident Safety Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How and when will I get paid?

A: RSRs are paid twice each month. Please see the Student Pay Information (located on the Student Employment web site) for the pay dates. Checks must be direct deposit or picked up at the Payroll office between the hours of 10 A.M. and 5 P.M.

Q: How do I apply for Direct Deposit?

A: You will need to visit the Payroll office with your bank account information to arrange for direct deposit. Forms are available at the Payroll office. Direct deposit stubs must be picked up at the Payroll office.

Q: Why haven’t I been paid?

A: It may be that you have not completed your application folder. Have you filled out all the forms, including tax forms? Have you brought in identification documents required to complete your I-9 Employment Eligibility Form? Have you filled out your work permit?

You will receive your first pay check approximately four weeks after you work your first shift.

Q: How are shifts set?

A: Between the hours of 0800 and 1600 hours (4 pm), the shifts are set in 2-hour blocks. Between the hours of 1600 and 0800, shifts are set in 4-hour blocks. Shifts always begin on the even hours: 0000, 0400, 0800, 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, and 2000.

Q: How many hours can I work?

A: RSRs must work a minimum of 12 hours per week and no more than 24 hours per week on a permanent basis when classes are in session. International students are limited to 20 hours per week. During the winter and summer breaks, RSRs must work a minimum of 20 permanent hours per week and no more than 30 permanent hours.

Q: What are the pay rates?

A: Click to view pay rates.

Q: What do I do if I am unable to work my assigned shift?

RSRs are responsible for permanent shifts for the entire semester as outlined in the specific agreement of hours. Holidays and days off from school are included. If you are unable to work a scheduled shift, you are responsible to obtain a replacement from our current semester staff list and complete a Substitute Request Form to ensure coverage (requires 48-hour minimum notice). Request Forms are available to all student employees in the Resident Safety office and in the RSR booths. All substitute requests must be approved, in advance, by the Resident Safety office.

In case of an emergency, call 516-463-6789