The Center for Civic Engagement supports faculty and community research partnerships that foster the pursuit of knowledge to the benefit of the local community. Community-Based Research, or CBR, is a methodology designed to include the community partner on an even playing field as the researcher from the invention of the research question to the presentation of results.
The Center for Civic Engagement supports community-based research by
- Consulting with faculty on community-based research projects as needed. The CCE community-based research committee serves as a sounding board for everything from developing research questions to working with partners to finding outlets for publications;
- Connecting faculty and community partners that have a need for scholarly research through its database;
- Hosting an annual Community Connections Event that facilitates networking between Hofstra faculty and staff and local community partners;
- Offering a network of faculty who support community-based research as a positive contribution to a tenure case;
- Offering workshops for faculty on community-based research.