At Hofstra University's Department of English, students work in an intimate community of writers and readers. They have the resources, time, and freedom to concentrate on their creative development while immersing themselves in the study of literature. Our M.F.A. program gives students the opportunity to:
- Work with award-winning, published faculty devoted to teaching talented students.
- Enjoy a close working relationship with faculty in small writing seminars.
- Interact with nationally and internationally renowned writers through Hofstra's Great Writers, Great Readings Series. (Visit hofstra.edu/gwgr for more information.)
- Integrate graduate writing seminars with courses in literature.
- Take advantage of a flexible class schedule, with courses offered in the late afternoons and early evenings, Monday through Thursday.
Graduate programs in Hofstra's Department of English serve a diverse student body. Some students in our M.F.A. program are motivated writers who have recently completed their undergraduate studies; others enter with an impressive body of professional experience or other advanced degrees. This diversity of life experience fuels the creative process in the classroom, allowing for animated workshops and exciting discussions.