EfA Mission and GoalsThe mission of Engineering for All is to develop and research a high-quality innovative program model that offers all students opportunities to engage in relevant STEM learning. The goals of the Project are to:
- Build Awareness of how engineering can address global and community-based issues and concerns
- Promote understanding of key ETE ideas/unifying themes (Design, Modeling, Systems, Resources, Human Values) by engaging students in integrative, socially conscious engineering design activities.
- Increase teachers’ and students’ interest in furthering their STEM learning and augmenting their knowledge about and positive attitudes toward engineers, engineering, and related careers.
- Empower teachers and schools to complement science and math instruction with effective teaching in engineering and technology so that all students can achieve STEM literacy.
- Conduct research that will contribute generalizable knowledge about ETE teaching and learning.
To reach these goals, Engineering for All will:
- Develop, classroom test, and revise two six-week curriculum modules (one in a Food context, one in a Water context).
- Develop a validated tool for assessing teachers’ growth in design pedagogical content knowledge (d-PCK).
- Evaluate EfA’s effectiveness in engaging student interest, catalyzing learning, teaching important STEM ideas, and promoting interest in further STEM study