If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
Certification and Educational Support Services

The following directions are for Hofstra candidates completing, or who have completed, one of Hofstra Universities New York State registered program that lead to New York State certification. In addition to applying on TEACH, candidates must submit an Institutional Recommendation Request form to the Office of Educational Support Services at Hofstra University. If you are not certain you are eligible for an institutional recommendation for certification, or you have any questions regarding certification, please contact the Office of Educational Support Services at 516-463-5747.

Applying for New York State Certification on TEACH

  • Create your TEACH online account by going to www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/→TEACH online system→self-registration and follow directions. NOTE: If you already have an account created for a previous certification or if you paid for fingerprinting online, do NOT create a second account. If you have problems with TEACH please call 518-486-6041
  • Once logged into TEACH, click TEACH online services to bring you to your homepage
  • Go to “Apply for a Certificate”
  • Read directions and hit “next” on the bottom of the page
  • You will need to update your Educational Information.  
    • Hofstra University-Main
    • Degree (list of programs and degrees are attached)
    • Program (list of programs and degrees are attached)
    • fill in your graduation date, start date, completion date (exact dates are not necessary) and the number of credits.
    • List each degree you are receiving, click Submit
  • If you are applying for Professional/Permanent certification, you will need to add your work experience to show 3 years of teaching (2 years for perm). For Professional, make sure your mentoring form has been sent to the State Education Department from your School District.
  • Once your personal info, educational and work info are all updated, click next
    • Enter in your Area of Interest*, subject, grade level, and title **Students in a dual certification teacher education program must apply for the certificate title in the area the edTPA was completed in FIRST. For example, students in the Dual Early Childhood and Childhood Program, if the edTPA was completed in Early Childhood, you MUST apply for that title first. This does NOT apply to those already certified or applying for Administration and PP Services titles **
  • Once you enter your certificate title, and submit, enter in your program code.  Check “Program titles and Codes” or “Finding your program code”.
  • After your code is entered, submit, and then verify and select the program and certification listed.
  • You will then be lead back to the previous page. Review the certification title and click 'next" on the bottom of the page.
  • You will then be asked if you want the State to evaluate you, click the radial button to proceed.
  • You will need to answer the Child Support and Moral Character questions then click to sign the application
  • Verify your certificate title, ($50 each) and then click to sign application
  • Print out your Application Transaction Summary (can use for interviews until certificate is issued)
  • Pay online with VISA or MasterCard and print out your receipt
  • Once paid, if in a dual program and applying for a second certification, go to the top of the page, "TEACH Home" and repeat the process. You do NOT need to reenter your educational information

*General Science, Severe Disabilities and 5-6 ext/annotations are listed under "Classroom Teacher extensions" Bilingual and Gifted are listed under "other extensions" School Psychologist, School Counselor, SBL/SDL/SDBL are listed under "Administration and PP Services." Coordinator of Work-Based Learning extensions are listed under "Career and Technical teacher" All other certification titles are under "Classroom Teacher" or "Classroom Teacher-Foreign Languages"