If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
Certification and Educational Support Services

CESS: Foreign Language Requirement

All candidates in teacher education programs are required to have at least three college credits (12 credits for TESOL program) in a language other than English (including American Sign Language). Acceptable courses are those typically offered by the department specific to the language and which are considered core requirements toward a degree in that language (for example, Elementary Spanish, Advanced French, Intermediate German, etc.). Culture, civilization, and film courses (taught in a foreign language) are acceptable when offered by the language department as part of a concentration in that language. The lowest acceptable grade is a C. Courses that have been waived, AP courses (such as high school courses) without credit toward a degree and CLEP examinations in World Languages are not accepted.

Graduate students who took Regents in high school are recommended to take a language placement test to demonstrate their proficiency at the Hofstra University Language Learning Center (LLC) located in Calkins Hall, room 207.

At the LLC, they test in the following languages:

  • Chinese/Mandarin
  • French
  • German
  • Greek
  • Hebrew
  • Italian
  • Latin
  • Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Spanish

Placement into level 2 (beyond level 4 for TESOL program) will satisfy student's requirement in a language other than English for New York State teacher certification. Please contact the Language Learning Center at (516) 463-5653 to schedule a placement test. For more information, please go to http://www.hofstra.edu/academics/languagelearning/

International Students

International students may satisfy the requirement in a language other than English by taking a placement examination in their native language at New York University (NYU):
http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/foreign-languages/testing.html or at American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL): http://www.languagetesting.com/general-test-descriptions
For more information, please e-mail Mustapha.Masrour@hofstra.edu

Graduate students in teacher education programs are strongly recommended to obtain pre-approval from the Office of Educational Support Services before registering for a course or placement test to fulfill their requirement in a language other than English for teacher certification. Please e-mail Course Approval/Evaluation Request Form (Download PDF Form) to soelzp@hofstra.edu