Family & Consumer Sciences MSEd Admission Requirements
Applications for admission to a Master of Science in Education program are made to the Graduate Admissions Office. Students who do not meet the full admission requirements may be advised to complete prerequisite courses under a planned program before becoming eligible for admission. Admission is based on a comprehensive review of multiple criteria, including the following:
- A completed application form to the master’s program.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 in each of two categories:
(A) Overall undergraduate course work
(B) Course work in the content area in which certification will be sought.
- Completion of General Education Core prerequisites for teacher education programs with a minimum GPA of 2.75.
- A written personal statement of professional intent and rationale.
- Two letters of reference that address the applicant’s potential to succeed in the teaching profession and in graduate course work.
- A bachelor’s degree. (See Program Requirements.)
The department understands that any single criterion may not reliably predict a candidate’s potential for success in a graduate program. Consequently, candidates may wish to apply if they do not meet one of the criteria but feel that other aspects of their experience may compensate.
To apply to this program, please visit Hofstra’s Office of Graduate Admissions.