Zarb Student Success Stories
Name: Ana Luiza Loures Pinto
Major/Degree: MBA Business Analytics
Hometown: Anápolis - Brazil
Why did you come to the Zarb School?
As an undergraduate student, I did a study abroad at Hofstra for a year and loved the school, the people and the location.
I had two internships while at Hofstra; one at an advertising agency, and another at a health benefit management company. I obtained both of them through professors who I either worked or had classes with. Both my internships were incredible learning experiences that really contributed to my educational and professional growth. I started my MBA program as a marketing major and, through professors and internships, realized that business analytics would be a better fit for me.
I obtained my full time position as a Data Analyst at IAC Applications through a referral from a Zarb alumnus. Professor Alex Pelaez also helped tremendously. The Career Center was also an enormous asset in regards to providing advice and best practices when applying for full-time positions and preparing for job interviews.
How did the Zarb School prepare you for your career?
I learned the knowledge and technical skills in class, but the out of classroom experiences the Zarb School provides really supplemented my education and taught me valuable lessons. There are so many internship and experiential learning opportunities to take advantage of. As an international student and someone coming from a totally different country and culture, the Zarb School also taught me a lot about the job-seeking process, and how essential soft skills and attitude are so critical.
What is your favorite memory/experience at the Zarb School?
My best experiences had to do with the out-of-class activities I was involved in. Of course classes were very rewarding, but getting involved in volunteer work, teaching other students in elementary schools about business analytics and becoming part of the fabric of the community has had a very positive impact in my life. During my last semester, I had the opportunity to teach databases to an 8th grade class as part of The Next Generation Computer Programming Academy, a partnership between the Zarb School, Progressive School and Baldwin Middle School. I loved getting involved with the local community. I found the experience very valuable and rewarding. It's great to see young kids learning new skills and technology, but it's also a great feeling to connect with them and experience the world from their perspective.
What advice do you have for students who want to follow in your footsteps?
- First of all I'd say to come into the program with an open mind and a willingness to venture into new experiences (even if they don't initially relate to your intended major or interests).
- Get to know all your professors and make close connections to the ones you identify with the most. Zarb professors are incredibly helpful and want to see you succeed.
- Volunteer for as many projects, leadership positions, not-for-profits, and clubs as you can. All this experience will be extremely important when you are looking for a position, and it will help you to learn about new cultures and grow as an individual. The Zarb School has many many opportunities, but do not be afraid to take initiative and start a new venture!
- Use the tools Hofstra and the Zarb School have to offer. For me this meant going to the Career Center very frequently and getting to know all their staff, upcoming events and career opportunities. They are very friendly and knowledgeable.
- Have fun and get to know as many people as possible. I've made incredible friends at Hofstra and my experience wouldn't have been the same without them. Having a healthy social life is as important as your studies and career. It is also a great way to network, share experiences, and ask for help!