If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
See Graduate Events Near You

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are frequently asked questions from applicants and accepted students. If you cannot find your answer here, feel free to contact us at graduateadmission[at]hofstra.edu or 516-463-4723

How does the application process work?

Our graduate application process is completed entirely online, available at hofstra.edu/gradapply. All documents, including letters of recommendation and transcripts (see question below), are uploaded to the online application system. Please consult the Graduate Bulletin for specific admission requirements and supplemental documents for your program.

Once you are ready to submit your application, it will be is sent to the program director. After a decision has been made, you will receive an official letter of notification informing you of your admission decision.

How do I submit my transcripts?

For applicants using one of the Centralized Application Systems (CASPA, CSDCAS, HAMPCAS, NursingCAS, OTCAS, SOPHAS, or SOPHASExpress), official transcripts should be sent directly to the Centralized Application System’s mailing address. This address can be found in the academic history section of the application under colleges attended, my attended colleges, “Download Transcript request form.”

For all other applicants, unofficial transcripts from each school you attended can be submitted electronically as part of the application process. Typically, the transcripts that are uploaded are scans of print transcripts. An unofficial transcript must have your full name and courses with grades listed in order to be reviewed with your application. Once you have been accepted into a program, you will be required to send an official, sealed transcript with proof of degree conferral indicated to our office at the following mailing address:

Hofstra University
Office of Graduate Admission
126 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549

What happens if my documents are too big to upload?

An explanation of how to shrink PDF and MS Word files can be found here.

How long does it take for an admissions decision to be made?

Each department operates on their own schedule, therefore decision times will vary depending on your program.

What if I forgot or never received my username and/or password for the Hofstra Portal?

You will be able to create your own username and password with your student ID number. If you cannot remember you login information, you can contact Hofstra University’s Help Desk at 516-463-7777.

How can I schedule a tour of campus?

Contact us at graduateadmission[at]hofstra.edu or 516-463-4723 to set up an appointment with one of the graduate assistants who will show you around campus.

What programs require a tuition deposit?

If you are enrolling in one of the following programs, log in to your newly activated Hofstra portal (my.hofstra.edu) to access the Student Payment Center and pay your tuition deposit.

  • Business (all degree programs)
  • Education (teacher and leadership certifications only - click here for a full list of affected degree programs)
  • Learning and Teaching, EdD
  • Nursing, MS
  • Occupational Therapy, MS
  • Psychology (all degree programs)
  • Speech-Language Pathology, MA

Consult the Graduate Bulletin for your program's requirements

What does “Rolling Admissions” mean?

Many programs at Hofstra University feature rolling admission, meaning applications are reviewed as they are received and there is no specific deadline to apply by. If a program has a specific deadline, it will be listed in our Graduate Bulletin.

How do letters of recommendation work for the online application?

Hofstra’s online application provides for the electronic submission of letters of reference. You will input the name and contact information for each provider in order to submit your application. Once you have added this information, the system will contact your recommender via e-mail with instructions on how to complete a recommendation for Hofstra University.

Please note that our office does not accept paper letters of recommendation.

How do I find out more information about the GRE and where I can take it?

You should visit www.ets.org.

How do I find out more information about the GMAT and where I can take it?

You should visit www.mba.com.

What is Hofstra’s school code for standardized tests?

When requesting official test scores be sent to the Office of Graduate Admission, Hofstra’s testing code is 2295. However, if you are applying to our speech-language pathology program, please use code 7701. If you are applying to our public health program, please use code 1238.

Is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) required?

The TOEFL or IELTS are required if your native language is not English. However, this requirement will be waived if you can prove that you have earned your bachelor's degree from a university/college in the United States or one of the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec/Montreal), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Greenland, Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, South Africa, Tobago, Trinidad, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, and US Virgin Islands.

What is the minimum TOEFL or IELTS score?

The minimum TOEFL score for Hofstra University is 80 and the minimum IELTS score is 6.5, however some programs may have higher requirements.

How many credits are considered full-time?

Full-time students must take a minimum of 9 credits per semester.

How can I speak with an advisor?

Contact the Office of Graduate Admission at graduateadmission[at]hofstra.edu or 516-463-4723. In addition, our office frequently holds Graduate Open Houses where prospective students are given the opportunity to meet with representatives from the departments they are interested in, as well as representatives from Graduate Admission.

You can also find out when graduate representatives will be in your area by visiting our Hofstra Near You page.

How does Financial Aid work?

Contact the Office of Student Financial Services by calling 516-463-8000 or visit hofstra.edu/sfs.