If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content

English Language Concerns for International Students

English Language Program

The English Language Program (ELP) provides intensive study for undergraduate students whose native language is not English. Its purpose is to bring non-English-speaking students to college-level proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing English.
The English Language Program curriculum is designed to improve students’ oral and written use of the English language. Students are taught how to follow lectures, take notes in English, write clearly and effectively, and participate in guided discussions. Emphasis is placed upon the specialized vocabulary needed in fields such as mathematics, science, engineering, and business/economics.
Students enrolled in ELP 25 and certain advanced-level courses in the English Language Program may earn up to 12 credits toward a Hofstra undergraduate degree.

English Language Placement

The Admission Committee requires that all applicants whose native language is not English submit TOEFL or IELTS. While Hofstra seeks applicants with a TOEFL score of 80 or better or a IELTS score of 6.5 or better, other applicants with appropriate academic credentials are encouraged to apply. First-year undergraduate applicants who have submitted a satisfactory SAT I score are not required to submit TOEFL/IELTS. 

Once enrolled, international undergraduate students are required to take a written examination administered by Hofstra’s English Language Program and have an interview with an ELP staff member prior to course registration. Students are then advised to take appropriate courses.

Note: An I-20 (certificate of eligibility) is issued to a student who has been accepted to an undergraduate degree program. An I-20 cannot be issued for the English Language Program alone -- students must also intend to matriculate to a full-degree program.