Center for University Advising

About Us


The Center for University Advising (CUA) supports and guides Hofstra undergraduate students as they explore, identify, and achieve academic goals while fostering their autonomy, responsibility, and love of learning. Through an individualized approach, the Center for University Advising teaches students how to use campus resources to promote their academic endeavors and personal growth. We also serve as an advocate and liaison with other offices to create a collaborative and supportive environment for all students. 


Dean for Center for University Advising


Marc Oppenheim

The Dean of the Center for University Advising provides strategic leadership, program development, and administration of a comprehensive general advising center serving undergraduate and preprofessional students. The dean is a member of the Division of Student Affairs leadership team and is committed to supporting student success, enhancing academic preparation, and cultivating among students the self-reflection and competencies that lead to personally and academically satisfying experiences. The dean leads the department of 20 professional staff in three main areas: Student Outreach and Retention Initiatives, Undergraduate Academic Advising, and Student Athlete Advising. Partnering with faculty and academic departments to facilitate Hofstra's dual advising model, the dean serves as a champion, advocate, role model, and mentor for Hofstra students.

The dean also provides academic advising for students who are pursuing BS degrees in the Herbert School of Communication.

Strategic Outreach and Retention Initiatives


Jennifer Boscarino-Green
Senior Associate Dean/Director
Email | Bio


Mary Etienne
Associate Director
Email | Bio


Liz Babinecz
Assistant Director
Email | Bio

This team provides academic advising for students majoring in dance, drama, music, and undecided students in the Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (HCLAS).

They also lead the development and implementation of retention initiatives for undergraduate students and work closely with the other CUA teams and campus colleagues to develop and maintain communications campaigns, registration processes, grade reviews, scholarship reviews, orientation registration processes, and other CUA practices.

Undergraduate Academic Advising

Advising deans provide academic advising for undergraduate students around academic policies, course registration and academic planning, and major exploration. They serve as guides and facilitators for students during their academic experiences and connect them to faculty and their academic departments.

Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) and Health Team

This team provides academic advising for students majoring in programs within the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the School of Health Professions and Human Services, and the DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science. They also advise students interested in pursuing medical school or graduate work in the allied health professions.


Ellen Miller
Associate Dean
Email | Bio


Matthew Hickling
Senior Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Varinia Grannum
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Monica Schauss
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Ashley Gray
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio

Zarb School of Business and Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (HCLAS) Team

This team provides academic advising for students majoring in programs within the Zarb School of Business, and some majors in the Kalikow School for Government, Public Policy and International Studies (economics, global studies, and geography).


Bert Binder
Associate Dean
Email | Bio


Marianne Nargentino
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Gina Sandoval
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Lisa H. Fell
Email | Bio

Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (HCLAS) and The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication Team

This team provides academic advising for students pursuing:

  • Majors in the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs (anthropology, history, philosophy, political science, religion, and sociology)
  • Majors in the School of Humanities, Fine and Performing Arts (comparative literature and languages, English, fine arts, design, art history, rhetoric, romance languages and literatures, writing studies)
  • Majors within the School of Education
  • BA degrees within Herbert School of Communication

Christina Cacioppo Bertsch
Associate Dean
Email | Bio


Edili Lopez
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Kristen Klein
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio


Kimberly Sloan-Montalvo
Assistant Dean
Email | Bio

The Student-Athlete Advising Team

This team advises student-athletes in all majors.


Rachel Peel-McAndrew
Associate Dean
Email | Bio

Frequently Asked Questions

Remote Learning FAQs

How many credits must I take to be a full-time student?

Any undergraduate student registered for 12 or more credits will be considered a full-time student. To live in the residence halls, receive certain types of financial aid, and be eligible for inclusion on a parent's health insurance coverage, students must maintain full-time status. Graduate students are considered to be registered full time if they are taking 9 or more credits.

What is a semester hour?

This term (also referred to as credit hour) refers to the number of credits received by the student for successfully completing a specific course. The semester-hour credit may not be equal to the actual number of hours spent in the class. This is particularly the case with laboratory or art studio classes.

When is common hour?

On Monday and Wednesday from 1–2:25 p.m., there are no classes scheduled to allow students and faculty to participate in various extracurricular and cocurricular events scheduled for that time.

What are electives?

Electives are courses that students choose to take because of special interests. The number of electives a student can take will depend upon the major selected.

What is the class meeting schedule at Hofstra?

Most day classes either meet three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) for 55 minutes a day or twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday) for 85 minutes a day. Evening classes are also offered in many subjects.

Will I be registering for the whole year of classes at once?

Hofstra offers two regular semesters each year: fall and spring. Students register for one semester's worth of classes at a time. There are also classes offered for January Session (2-3 weeks long), Summer I and Summer 2 Sessions (5-6 weeks long) and Summer 3 Session (3-4 weeks long).

What is a bulletin?

The Bulletin contains information about degree requirements, policies and procedures, and descriptions of courses offered. Students are responsible for fulfilling the requirements outlined in the Bulletin that was in effect the semester that they entered Hofstra.

What is a distribution class?

Distribution classes are specific courses in the humanities, natural sciences, mathematics/computer science, social sciences, history/philosophy/religious studies, cross-cultural, and interdisciplinary studies that have met special standards set by the faculty of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Almost all Hofstra University's bachelor's degree programs include distribution courses among their general requirements.

What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed before a student may take another higher-level course.

How does the P/D+/D/F option work and exactly what does it mean ?

When a student has elected the P/D+/D/F basis on a particular course and passes it with a C- or better, the grade of "P" is entered on the transcript instead of a letter grade. The P indicates that full credit is given, but there is no effect on the grade point average. Grades of D+, D or F are, however, posted to the transcript and do apply to the grade point average. A student must elect the P/D+/D/F option during the first third of the term (5 weeks in a regular semester), by completing the "Request for Pass/D+/D/Fail Form," having it signed by an advisor, and returning it to Student Financial Services in Memorial Hall. Only elective courses are eligible for this option; ineligible for this option are Writing Studies and Composition 001 and 002, courses used to fulfill the distribution and foreign language requirements, courses in the Zarb School of Business, and courses for major and minor credit. In HCLAS and in the Herbert School of Communication, the P/D+/D/F grade option is restricted to 15 credits. Please consult the Bulletin for any further restrictions.

Do I need to apply to the Zarb School of Business to start taking business classes?

Any student may take business classes without being a declared business major. However, there are some classes that are restricted to juniors and seniors only. Students should always check with an advisor to make sure that they are taking appropriate classes.

Does Hofstra University offer any tutoring services?

The Undergraduate Tutorial Program offers free tutoring for a variety of high-demand courses at the undergraduate level. For more information, visit

Can I declare elementary education as my co-major now?

Students must apply to the School of Education during the second semester of their sophomore year (after earning 45 credits or more) and be accepted in order to declare the major.

What grade point average must I maintain in order to be in good academic standing?

Any student who fails to maintain a 2.00 cumulative average will be placed on academic probation. After two semesters on probation a student may be subject to dismissal from the University. All students on academic probation are required to meet with an advisor in the Center for University Advisement to discuss their standing and strategies for improving their grades.

What is a minor?

Minors are designed for students with an interest in a particular area to supplement their major. A minor is an effective use of elective credit space and generally requires 18 credits of coursework in a particular subject. All minor requirements are listed in the Bulletin, and students must obtain permission from the department before declaring a minor.

What is my class standing?

Class standing (first-year, sophomore, junior or senior) is determined by the number of earned credit hours. Students with fewer than 30 credits are considered first-years. Those with 30-59 credits earned are classified as sophomores. Those with 60-89 credits earned are considered juniors, and students with 90 or more credits earned are classified as seniors.

When should I register for classes?

Generally, it is best to register for classes at the earliest point possible to ensure the largest class selection afforded to you. Typically, registration for the fall semester begins in March, and registration for the spring semester begins in October. Please check your assigned registration time on your portal each semester (under Student Records). You may also view registration information here.

What is a degree audit?

A degree audit is a tool used to determine the required courses for a specific degree. Students can access their degree audit through the Hofstra portal to review degree requirements and help ensure they are completing the necessary requirements for graduation. For more information on the degree audit, please visit the Degree Audit web page.

Can I take classes outside of Hofstra?

Once matriculated, current students may not take courses at other educational institutions. Only in rare cases and for exceptional and extenuating circumstances will a request to attend another educational institution be considered. To request a waiver from this policy, please contact the appropriate dean's office who must approve any waiver in advance. Please note that documentation of the extenuating circumstance(s) may be required.

Study Abroad courses taken at other institutions are the exception. Students studying abroad either directly at foreign institutions or under the auspices of other U.S. institutions may still arrange to have their credits counted toward the completion of Hofstra degree requirements. It is important to remember, however, to get permission from the Office of Study Abroad Programs to transfer those credits BEFORE going abroad.

Remote Learning FAQ

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about remote learning for spring 2021. For more information about remote learning, visit the Safe Start website.

What are the different modes of delivery for spring semester courses?

In-person, hybrid, and online courses.

What does it mean when a course has an A/B format?

This is a type of hybrid course that consists of a combination of in-person and online attendance with half the class meeting in person during each meeting pattern and the other half meeting online either synchronously or asynchronously.

For my courses with an A/B format, do I get to pick the specific days I am on campus?

No, the specific attendance rotation will be determined by the course instructor and communicated to students during the first week of classes.

What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous courses?

Synchronous learning is online or distance education that happens in real time. Synchronous learning occurs when the teacher and students interact in different places but during the same time. Students enrolled in synchronous courses are required to log on to their computer during their set class time. Asynchronous learning is through online channels without real-time interaction. Instruction is offered via web technology that is student-accessible and available at the time and location of students' choice.

Why isn’t there a designated day or time listed for an asynchronous course?

Asynchronous learning is through online channels without real-time interaction. Instruction is offered via web technology that is student-accessible and available at the time and location of students' choice.

How do I go about electing remote learning for the spring semester?

Students planning to pursue remote learning for the spring semester due to COVID-19-related reasons must officially communicate their intent by filling out the spring attendance selection form. This form can also be found in your portal ( from the MyApps icon  Attendance Selection. Your spring instructors will be notified of your form submission. Please consult with your instructors to discuss how best to proceed as a remote learner. For any courses that cannot be pursued remotely, contact your advising dean or major department for assistance identifying an appropriate alternative.

Is there a deadline for electing remote learning?

There is no official deadline to elect remote learning, as student circumstances may change throughout the semester. However, students must be in direct communication with each professor to confirm that their courses can be appropriately accommodated in a remote format.

If I elect to pursue remote learning, can I change my mind and switch to in-person learning?

The Course Attendance Method form allows students the opportunity to change their method of attendance, as appropriate. However, students must reach out to their specific instructors to confirm whether a change in course delivery method is appropriate for each specific course.

If a student requests remote learning for the spring semester, do they automatically get assigned to a different section if their course isn’t offered online?

No, it is the student’s responsibility to update their schedule should they be in a course that cannot be accommodated. They can work with an advising dean or faculty advisor for assistance identifying a suitable alternative.

I’ve reached out to my assigned instructor regarding remote learning for their course but have not received a reply. Who should I contact?

You should reach out to the chair of the department offering the course in question to request assistance obtaining appropriate feedback.

Will there be dedicated spaces on campus where I can go to participate in my remote class?

If you are on campus at a time when you need to take an online class, you can reserve a seat in a classroom set aside to take online classes. In this way, you will have a guaranteed place to take your online class if you are already on campus for an in-person class, or if you need a dedicated space. We will be using smaller classrooms and seminar rooms for this purpose.

You will receive a permanent space for the semester for each class you request. The form below also asks where on campus you are immediately before or after, so we can place you in a space convenient to you. Please email at least 24 hours prior to your class, as we must find an open space for you, assign it, and contact you. You'll need to fill out the form separately for any class time you're requesting.

Guidelines for space usage:

  • Rules for these spaces are the same as the classroom rules – you must wear a mask, stay in designated furniture, be physically distanced, and you may not eat in these spaces.
  • Other students taking classes may be placed in the room with you, so you need to use headphones (noise-cancelling, if possible) while participating in the online class.
  • You may only use the space for the length of your class, as others in subsequent classes may be assigned to the room.
  • Since these spaces are reserved for individual class use, they may not be used as free study space. Please go to a lounge area in the library or other public area for studying.
  • These spaces will be checked on occasion to monitor compliance with policies and procedures.
  • These spaces are offered only as a convenience. You do not have to book a space if you do not need to use it.

Fill out this form to reserve a spot.